Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

money versus talent

Posted by: user417395 | Tue 4th Jun 2013 16:18 | Last Reply

going to throw this out there and see if i get lambasted but this is a forum after all. I am curious how many talented golfers there are out there who do not have the funds to take their game to the next level. How many people are there out there who also have the talent but the cost of actually starting to play the game are put off and do not even bother will be interested in the response

re: money versus talent
user80078
Reply : Tue 4th Jun 2013 19:05

When I was a working class young lad many years ago, golf didn't come onto my radar. I played soccer and tennis, but golf was a game for people other than me, who could afford club fees and equipment. Thankfully, municipal courses and cheaper equipment allowed me to get started with a half set (from a catalogue) in my late twenties. I have loved the game for the last 40 years and even managed to win a club championship on the way. I know that I started late, but it is down to me that I didn't progress further. I just wasn't prepared to put in the work to reach the next level. I have had the financial resources to use the best equipment and coaching, but chose to play the game alongside other sports and activities. I have always considered myself to be a sportsman, but only ever played casually and for fun. P.S. My niece is a past world champion billiard player and number 3 in women's snooker. Knowing the effort and practice she had to put in to achive her standard I know why I never bothered...

re: money versus talent
user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 4th Jun 2013 19:55

Its a simple answer. Money!

To get to a level that is good enough to even think about playing top golf you need time. And in order to have that time you need financial help. Many talented guys (and gals) have tried to fit this wonderful game into a full time job and failed.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top