Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Need a better winning mentality

Posted by: user43166 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Wed 29th May 2013 08:44 | Last Reply

I have played a few of the public matchplay events in recent years and have never won a round... until yesterday!! However, it was far closer than it should have been.

This was the "Southern Matchplay" event. The first round is 2-legs, home and away. I had a good round at home and took a 3-hole lead to the away leg. I got off to a blistering start and, with my 3-hole advantage, went 7-up after 7.

However, I let the guy back in. I was faced with getting pegged back to 2-Up after 14 with my oppo on a charge and staring defeat in the face. A half on the 15th and winning the 16th gave me the match 3&2 but it was far too close for comfort.

I do seem to have this problem on matchplay events... struggling to close the match down when I have then chance.

Any comments / advice???

re: Need a better winning mentality
user16106
Reply : Wed 29th May 2013 17:59

Well done Paul gettting through round 1. I won my 1st leg 1 up but got thrashed at my home leg and lost 5&4. I really didnt turn up but was beaten by a very good player. Remember in matchplay ( HCAP dependent ) that you dont always loose with a bogie but normally will with a double. Even if you have had a shot more than your opponant and he is nearer the hole all is not lost. If you leave him a tricky 2 putt it will make him think. If you leave him a 3 putt to win, he will win. Try to keep your ball in play, dont try to thread it 180yds through a hole in the trees over a lake to a green the size of a hanky. Make your opponant win the hole rather than you giving it to him. If you play sensible it may force him into an agresive shot that could cause an error. You will still need to play well to win though. Best of luck in the next round. PS never give a putt you may think you could miss yourself. Dave CAC handed Geordie.

Last edit : Wed 29th May 2013 18:01
user43166
Reply : Thu 30th May 2013 08:25

Thanks Dave. Shame you didn't get through, would have been good to have been drawn against you. Next year maybe. How's the new clubhouse? Not been up there since it opened.

My tactics the other day pretty much followed what you say - let the other guy make the mistakes. This worked well (apart from the 2nd where I followed my heart not my head). Maybe having built up a good lead I relaxed, maybe when I am on the cusp of winning I think about it too much. All good experience though.

user43166
Reply : Wed 5th Jun 2013 12:04

Dave... guess who I got in the 2nd round... the guy you played!!

I'm away at Cottesmore. Any hints/tips seeing as you came away 1-up from there?

Cheers...

user16106
Reply : Wed 5th Jun 2013 12:21

Paul Hes a good player on his home course and he was helpful with the shot I should play. Just be on your game and keep it in play. He seemed to play agressive on the holes he was giving me a shot so maybe take advantage of that. Best of luck to both players in the next round. Have a good one and hope you get the sun. Dave CAC handed Geordie.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top