Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

What Wentworth can do to you!

Posted by: user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Sat 25th May 2013 12:00 | Last Reply

Over the years I have seen the same thing time and time again.

Guys who hit fairway after fairway on an open course go to Wentworth and can't hit it straight anymore. Seeing young Rory hit 'duck hooks' and massive blocks\cuts just show what a tree-lined course can do to you.

This comes from a person who handed a 107 in at The Tour School on such a course (Foxhills Longcross), you just can't relax and everything goes haywire.

Today I don't suffer the same mental problems and can stripe it down the fairway on the tightest of holes. But why does it get to us at times? Strange!

re: What Wentworth can do to you!
user52922
Reply : Sun 26th May 2013 19:22

If that is the case, Lyth, then it is a good job they are not playing the much tighter East course and the very high ferns everywhere.

I would suggest that the modern equipment makes it tougher for them as shaping accurately with a metal wood seems to be beyond them.

We down here don't even rate Wentworth in the top ten in Surrey, especially since Els got his hands on it and spoiled a completely natural course.

user504404
Reply : Mon 27th May 2013 10:47

At least it penalises you for going off the fairway unlike the American tracks which are birdie fests! (apart from the USA Open)

Personally I prefer to see the players challenged more, although when it gets tough a lot of them complain its unfair!

user16106
Reply : Mon 27th May 2013 11:31

I think its refreshing to see pros lay up on a par 5 rather than see birdie , eagle every par 5. I "love it !" when the open comes around with the 30mph winds the stop start rain and the leader on about -4. A real test for golfers. It gets boring when the winner of a tournament is on around -22. Dave CAC handed Geordie.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top