Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

1st Medal Comp

Posted by: user472088 | Thu 9th May 2013 13:21 | Last Reply

Hi I have been lurking here for a while

I only started to play golf 3 years ago, been doing quite well although I don't get enough time to play that often

Anyway I play and am a member at my local club Goodwood and have never played in any competitions before and just signed up to play in a medal

I have a congou handicap of 28i there but its 26 here on Golfshake

Not looking to win the comp or anything like that, just wondering what to expect regarding rules etc

Thanks for an replies

Steve

re: 1st Medal Comp
user504404
Reply : Thu 9th May 2013 13:34

Assuming your medal is at Goodwood Steve and it is full handicap allowance you would play off your CONGU handicap (I assume Goodwood did your CONGU, ie 3 cards)

I know someone who is a member at Goodwood, never played it myself but the downs course is long!!!

user16106
Reply : Thu 9th May 2013 19:33

Steve as its your first medal I would advise you to play well within yourself. Dont try anything to risky. Play nice steady Boring bogey golf and you will do ok. As for rules, if in any doubt I would ask someone as it can be easy to get DQ. Take extra care with things like playing out of turn, moving on the tee while another is teeing off, walking on someones line etc etc as its a bit more serious than a social game. I got a 13 on my 1st medal, but dont let that put you off. Best of luck. Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user472088
Reply : Fri 10th May 2013 06:56

Thanks for the replies the comp is on the Park course

user504404
Reply : Fri 10th May 2013 10:32

Steve

I back up what Dave has said. Medals are a lot tougher than stableford. I myself tend to play a bit more conservatively in medals as every shot counts.

Check with whoever is your club handicap secretary as regards what you will be playing off. Usually there is a notice board with all club members handicaps on it. Whatever is down next to your name is what you have to play off. Also check the rules for the actual competition.

Good luck and enjoy your first comp, good news it is on the Park course which is a lot easier than the Downs

user26342
Reply : Fri 10th May 2013 14:20

Also remember there will be no "dropping a ball" & playing 3. So if in doubt play a provisional & let your playing partners know.

And remember the worst that can happen is you will go up by 0.1!!!

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top