Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

To play golf left handed or right?

Posted by: user522248 | Thu 2nd May 2013 09:56 | Last Reply

I'm just starting to play golf, I play all racket sports left handed but I kick with my right foot. I naturally picked up the golf club as a right hander but have a feeling i may be more suited to playing as a lefty. How should I decide?!

re: To play golf left handed or right?
user43763
Reply : Thu 2nd May 2013 11:45

try playing left handed? see how it goes?

obvious answer but probably the best

user504404
Reply : Thu 2nd May 2013 19:33

Connor

I am totally mixed up, play racket sports left handed, kick left footed but throw with my right hand.

I learn't to play golf right handed simply because there was more gear for right handers.

However my coach has told me that I am left eye dominant, so I would of been better off learning to play golf left handed - bit late to change in my case and I am happy with how things are.

My advice would be to see if you are left or right eye dominant before you decide - only about 5% of golfers are left eye dominant apparently.

user24437
Reply : Thu 2nd May 2013 21:29

Reminds me of a post I put on here last year sometime, can't seem to find it but I'll give you the pr�cis. A guy I was working with happened to have his clubs in the back of his car when we were on a job in Cambridge. We finished and decided to go and have a quick knock and a chat at a local range and it turned out that half his clubs were right handed and the other half left. All his woods (IIRC), longer irons and putter were right and all the short irons were left. It was just what he felt comfortable with. Decent player too.

user451727
Reply : Fri 3rd May 2013 09:24

I am left handed but play right handed as well, I also play guitar right handed and football with my right foot. Funny thing the human body eh? Connor, as previously stated I would try both ways and see which suits you best. I would imagine it will become pretty apparent as soon as you make a swing. One will feel right and the other will just feel really wrong.

user23669
Reply : Fri 3rd May 2013 14:57

If you can try playing right handed, as a Leftie myself I hardly have a choice of clubs at the store or the pro shop if & when I decide to get a new set.

user467588
Reply : Sat 4th May 2013 11:23

Find a decent golf range. Most will have spare clubs available & try both... Whichever feels best is the one to go with. As for lack of availability for left handers, there is ample out there. My pro let me have a Taylormade Rocketballz demo club left hander & has a fair selection in the pro shop, with anything else available on order.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top