Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Divots & Pitch Marks

Posted by: user30263 | Wed 1st May 2013 08:49 | Last Reply

Searching through the feeds, Divots are a popular topic at the moment. Pitch Marks are always raised as important because if they are not repaired greens can be ruined. What about having nice lush fairways too. I dont play as often as I would like but when I used to walk round the course with my son and when I do play now I spend a lot of time repairing other players Pitch Marks and replacing Divots. It is just lazy to not take responsibility and a few secs to repair your own. Have even seen Green Keepers talking about Pro's not replacing their divots.

What on earth has happened to players? Many are quick to moan about conditions of greens and the courses, even the rules and the Putter Ban etc. but all players need to look after the courses they play. Green Keepers are there to maintain and keep courses in good condition, not to tidy up after ignorance.

For those players this does not refer to, I support you but more has to be done to ensure that everyone shows the same respect for their course.

re: Divots & Pitch Marks
user30263
Reply : Thu 2nd May 2013 10:06

Let's start a campaign on Golf Shake - Darren great issues being made,as mentioned have seen Green Keepers saying that pro's don't even repair their divots. We all have to help the Green Keepers Ignorance and just being lazy is not good enough!

user43763
Reply : Thu 2nd May 2013 11:50

completely agree with dan on this point. I think the whole joining procedure should be changed. im a member at two clubs and although I had leaflets and handbooks on dress code and slow play, the guy looked at me daft when I asked him what the correct procedure to fill out a scorecard was, you may think it daft but id never filled one in before, same with pitch repairs,

When joining I think you should be made to play 18 holes with an experienced member and they should be encouraged to teach you the ways of the club, this would have so many benefits.

user23669
Reply : Fri 3rd May 2013 14:56

another problem with your divot is that sometimes after you have replaced your divot like I mostly do a bird will come along behind you yo get at any tasty morsels have been left behind in the softer damp dirt

user78137
Reply : Fri 3rd May 2013 18:15

To help with the repair of pitch marks in particular, why doesn't someone make a video of HOW to do it, this may help the unknown situation at least a little!! Be good to see golf shake helping with this.

user446732
Reply : Fri 3rd May 2013 19:29

There are plenty on the internet. Just google pitchmark repair

Try this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15AshbIV7_o

user30263
Reply : Mon 6th May 2013 14:12

In my opinion it still comes down to ignorance. Plenty of courses have signs up asking players to repair them. If you are not sure ask someone at the club. Agree that more should be done to educate and make All players aware of the importance of them. Be interesting to see on a poll maybe as to who is aware and who is isn't. I have seen greenkeepers upset that after pro competitions their fairways have been wrecked with no attempt at replacing divots.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 5th Aug 2013 19:57

Fab idea just popped up on Twitter

National Repair Your Pitch Mark Day to raise awareness on August 14th 2013

https://twitter.com/WaterloovilleGC/status/364452440269025280/photo/1

Last edit : Mon 5th Aug 2013 20:01
user30263
Reply : Tue 6th Aug 2013 11:26

A great initiative every player should get their club to join in!

user26342
Reply : Tue 6th Aug 2013 16:49

Pitch Mark Repair At Cleobury Mortimer Golf Club http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvNVBjI3rhs&sns=tw via @youtube

Last edit : Tue 6th Aug 2013 16:49
user30263
Reply : Fri 16th Aug 2013 19:22

The Campaign on Twitter was a great success & if it raised awareness to stop some of the lazy golfers who just can't be bothered to actually repair their pitch marks all the better. August 14th will now be an annual event to keep pushing the problem. If any golfers honestly can say that the reason they don't repair their pitchmarks is because they don't know how to just ask your club Pro.

More awareness days to come.

user30263
Reply : Wed 9th Oct 2013 19:06

After the inaugral #nationalrepaityourpitchmarkday on August 14th, October 16th sees the inaugral

nationalrepairyourdivotday. Please help spread the word so we can get as many players and Golf Clubs on board to help improve & sustain quality of courses and also assist all Greens Teams.

user544073
Reply : Thu 24th Oct 2013 07:59

I joined a brand new club having never played before. Because i didnt know anyone the vice captain came out with me for my first round. I had a pitchmark to repair but didnt even realise about this common problem in golf. The vice captain took me into the proshop after the round and bought me one. Since then i have always repaired mine and any i see left on the green. I think if you start off with the right mentality you and the player your play with will feel embarrassed to not do something so simple

user30263
Reply : Tue 10th Dec 2013 16:47

How are things with everyone? How are Divots & Pitchmarks doing at your courses during this critical time? Without all players observing Etiquette and repairing theirs it could impact course conditions for the new season.

user446732
Reply : Wed 11th Dec 2013 22:18

We are using fairway mats. Virtually divot-hole-less

user30263
Reply : Wed 11th Dec 2013 22:24

Fairway Mats? Not familiar with those?

user451055
Reply : Thu 12th Dec 2013 08:30

Is there any special technique/thing to look out for when using fairway mats? We don't use them at our club but I am playing in a tournament in the New Year and I am pretty sure we will be using them. Never used them before. In my head it seems like I will be always on a hill stance as the ball will always be above my feet. I know it must just be half a centimetre or so but I'm already panicking I wont be able to hit the ball properly.

user26342
Reply : Thu 12th Dec 2013 09:00

I've just got my hands on one of these & they are superb. I've already had lots of members asking me where they can get one from. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHt4aGkPWvc&sns=em

Sent from my iPhone

user446732
Reply : Thu 12th Dec 2013 22:21

Judy Try and get hold of one and try a couple of dozen shots. They really aren't that difficult. Make sure the mat is secured with a tee peg. I play woods and long irons off the near back corner. The ball is in effect teed up and you have a clear view of the back of the ball. Short irons should be played as if you are on a hard tight lie. You won't be able to take an intentional divot. You have to nip it off.

But we are now using these

http://www.divotend.com/golf-mats/rocket-launcher-smart-winter-rules-mat

user30263
Reply : Fri 13th Dec 2013 08:37

These are not used in club comps are they? A great way to protect Course though⛳️😄

user446732
Reply : Fri 13th Dec 2013 16:42

In theory, yes. But we stop playing qualifiers before we introduce the mats. They are approved by the R&A and permitted by CONGU.

We have got compulsory use this year (from Nov 1) and already members are commenting on the state of the fairways, particularly in comparison with other local courses.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 13th Dec 2013 17:09
user30263
Reply : Fri 13th Dec 2013 22:52

Complete waste of time, just manage the lazy golfers & ensure divots are replaced.

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 14th Dec 2013 12:14

I used to have to use a mat in winter, club decided to stop using them because they got too many complaints from the few members who did play during winter months.

I see too many dried out divots that can (and do) block the blades on Mowers. I always tap the sides in on shallow divots and replace and stamp down before breaking up deeper ones. Shown how to do this by an old green-keeper. Works well.

user446732
Reply : Sat 14th Dec 2013 16:55

Divot holes don't heal between end November and early April. During the winter, replaced divots are more likely to be removed by birds seeking food.

user30263
Reply : Mon 16th Dec 2013 08:05

If they are replaced swiftly & correctly there is more chance they will. Mats are not the answer getting ignorant & lazy golfers to apply the right attitude & clubs also having Seeding stations at regular intervals along fairways will be a big help.

user99350
Reply : Mon 16th Dec 2013 13:13

At Moorallerton you have the choice of using a mat or moving to the edge of the fairway and playing from the 'rough'. This will be the second year this has happened and the improvement to the fairrways was proven last year. Any divot in winter is one too many.

user30263
Reply : Mon 16th Dec 2013 15:53

Would love to hear any Greenkeepers views on this one. Sure that nomadic golfers who have to pay green fees won't through choice play a course where they cannot play off the Fairway.

user446732
Reply : Mon 16th Dec 2013 20:53

As an ex one time greenkeeper, I can assure you that the recovery rate of divot holes is exceedingly poor in the winter. In the spring and early summer, courses without divot holes are in a far better condition and attract more green fees than those that are still pock marked.

My club accepts a potential small reduction in (low) green fees in the winter as a price to pay for excellent fairways and good green fee income in the rest of the year.

user446732
Reply : Mon 16th Dec 2013 20:58

Darren Re your point about lazy golfers, unfixed pitch marks have been a problem since Adam was a lad. No amount of encouragement has yet solved that problem. Do you really see the lazy or ignorant players changing their habits any time soon?

user30263
Reply : Tue 17th Dec 2013 08:28

No it will take time but everyone who does respect their course has to get on board and start to 'educate' the lazy ones. I'm sure many players know some of the culprits & should approach them about their actions. I know societies are different to golf club memberships but we don't allow any players who don't respect the course on our days.

If members are happy to use mats & płay from the Rough and it helps the course then good for them. Those clubs will however lose revenue with green fee Paying players.

user446732
Reply : Fri 20th Dec 2013 11:22

From St Andrews

*Mats are used on all courses between the months of November and February each year, with The Old Course and The Castle Course retaining their use until the end of March. With temperatures providing little growth during the winter months these small bits of Astroturf help protect the turf from divot damage which would otherwise take until the summer to repair. They are carried by the golfer and if the ball lies on the fairway, the mat is positioned as near as possible to where it lies. The ball is then placed on and played from the mat. On all other areas of the course the ball is played as it lies.

Information for 2013/14: Fairway mats will be in operation on the Old, New, Jubilee, Eden and Strathtyrum Courses from Monday 4th November 2013 until Friday 28th February 2014. Mats will continue to be used on the Old Course until Friday 28th March 2014.
The Castle Course closes after play on Sunday 3rd November and when it re-opens on Saturday 1st March 2014 will remain on mats until Friday 28th March.*

user30263
Reply : Wed 29th Jan 2014 08:27

During this appalling Wet Weather one can only imagine all the damage being done to courses which insist on on opening. 9 holes open, 18 temps,no buggies or trolled etc. If conditions are that bad who actually wants to go out to play?

Clubs should think of all members & not the minority who will actually go out to play. Also the same players to moan about courses condition in Spring!

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top