Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Club tune-up?

Posted by: user85862 | Tue 30th Apr 2013 12:31 | Last Reply

Hi,

I've been out of the game for over a year due to having my first child. Getting back to playing again this season. I'm trying to find out if it's possible to get my clubs tuned up ie, new grips fitted, loft and lie checked etc.

Reason being I fitted the grips myself probably 2 years ago may be more and i didn't do the best job also i'm not so confident I bought the right size I do have long hands and was advised to get Midsize grips, for my own peace of mind i'd like to get this checked. With the Loft & lie again I think its more a confidence thing.

I live in Birmingham and willing to travel a reasonable distance, I've had a google but come up dry.

Thanks

Last edit : Tue 30th Apr 2013 13:15
re: Club tune-up?
user16106
Reply : Tue 30th Apr 2013 12:56

Anthony I went through the same thing last year and found it wasnt cheap. Loft and lie check and adjustment was about �45.( I didnt have this done ) New grips were �6 each and fitting was �3 ea. I bought some saparo ( golf pide fakes ) really good at �3 ea and fitted myself. I think next time I will pay. I think if you ring around your local clubs, one will point you in the right direction. Also I think if you get the same person to do the lot you should get a bit of a discount. Best of luck. Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 30th Apr 2013 13:07

Hi Anthony, hopefully Tim H will see this. I know he uses a guy based in Tamworth.

user85862
Reply : Tue 30th Apr 2013 13:13

Thanks for the reply's

user24437
Reply : Tue 30th Apr 2013 13:35

Anthony. Give Melvyn Fern a ring at Four Counties Golf (http://fourcountiesgolf.co.uk/home), he's near Drayton Manor theme park. Lovely bloke, can check lofts and lies but unless you have forged clubs he probably won't change them - and he'll tell you why they shouldn't be done.

He'll do your re-gripping and size them up as well.

PS Dave - Sharpro aren't Golf Pride fakes, they actually make grips for Golf Pride as well as most of the other manufacturers. They are part of one of the largest rubber/composite manufacturers in the world....

user85862
Reply : Tue 30th Apr 2013 14:23

Thanks Tim,

I my Irons are currently Nike Ignites so I don't think they are forged... but they were loft and lie checked when I bought them many moons ago, do you know what he charges?

EDIT: Nevermind just seen their website. Erm are they located on Drayton Park Golf Club? I mean do they run DPGC pro shop?

Last edit : Tue 30th Apr 2013 14:39
user24437
Reply : Tue 30th Apr 2013 14:39

Depends what you want doing Anthony, he's got some charges on his website but it's really worth just having a chat with him to see what needs doing. He built my clubs a few years ago (Maraging XKR400 heads, Nissin NS pro 950GH shafts and sticky grips) for �48 each - so he's not wildly expensive considering it's good gear. I recently had a new 7 iron shaft fitted for �30.

user85862
Reply : Tue 30th Apr 2013 14:50

Yeah ill have to have a word and see what can be done, I definitely need re-gripping. But as i said before i dont think there forged but were L&L when i bought them?

user24437
Reply : Tue 30th Apr 2013 15:27

No, not at the Golf club Anthony. If you go past the entrance to Drayton Manor theme park on your right take the next right into Drayton Basset, about 100 yards up that lane there's a farm on the left with a small sign to 4 counties. Park in there and his workshop is down the bottom of the yard up some steps. It's the place with wall to wall shafts and exotic drivers and irons!

user85862
Reply : Tue 30th Apr 2013 16:26

Ahh I see,

reason I ask is I do the IT for DPGC and have been in contact with the pro shop there, thought it was a wonderful coincidence.

user16106
Reply : Tue 30th Apr 2013 22:07

Tim Sorry wrong choice of word "fake". Really meant poor mans version of Golf pride multi. Still very good value. Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user24437
Reply : Tue 30th Apr 2013 23:12

I prefer budget conscious Dave! I fitted a set of Sharpro 3 CATS to mine and they are brilliant. Not sure how long they're going to last because they are so soft, but at under �3 a pop I can afford to change them more often. Thoroughly recommend them

user85862
Reply : Wed 1st May 2013 11:39

Weirdly I got an email this morning from DG. Not sure weather to try this out. http://www.direct-golf.co.uk/golfmot

user16106
Reply : Wed 1st May 2013 19:02

Anthony Saw this video on face tube, looks pretty good for free although not sure if his ofts were actually checked as correct. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdqlCwTvjEw Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user85862
Reply : Wed 1st May 2013 20:41

Yeah i saw the video to. Its obviously staged and you only see segments of the process.

user198914
Reply : Fri 3rd May 2013 00:59

I had mine recently cleaned and re-gripped, it does make a massive difference, I had the golf pride multi compound fitted, 14 grips and fitting was �70.

user309476
Reply : Fri 3rd May 2013 17:35

A friend of mine went for the free MOT at direct golf and came away slightly disappointed after reading the article in today's golfer. He was expecting to be hitting balls at a screen using a launch monitor but was just shown to the range. They checked his lie with 4 7 iron hits then just went through his clubs. The advert claimed you got your clubs cleaned and checked, distances for each club and a printout of advised changes. All he got was his driver was to whippy and his lies needed dropping 2 degress (which cost �30 and was told if he still found his flight too high they would adjust them free). This was at the solihull branch and has put me off going myself!!

user24437
Reply : Fri 3rd May 2013 23:19

The last conversation I had with my club builder left me with the impression that most of the golf barn services are much the same as Darrens mates experience. He will not adjust cast clubs only forged (it's all to do with the grain orientation and physical characteristics of the metal) but prefers to use club heads that are correct in the first place - and the story that he related about a pro who had a set of well known clubs factory fitted and when he checked them they were up anything from 2� to 4� strong sort of bears this out. My advice would be to get them checked for length and swing weights and throw a new set of grips on and see how you get on. Fitting new grips is really easy and http://www.golfgrips-direct.com/acatalog/Grip_Sizing.html has a good guide as to the size and build up needed.

user30263
Reply : Wed 10th Jul 2013 11:53

Apologies for only just seeing this! Obviously having an Ultrasonic Golf Club cleaning business I do have a vested interest but only becuase an Ultrasonic Clean more often than not restores grips without the need for a regrip! Dont believe all the hype about having to change your grips every year! It is not always necessary.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top