Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

strokeplay versus stableford

Posted by: user417395 | Sun 28th Apr 2013 18:28 | Last Reply

wondering if any other golfers out there have a similar problem i seem to be having. Over the last season i have been keeping an eye on my rounds and my strokeplay competition rounds seem to have on average 15 shots difference from my stableford. Can anyone shed any light on why this may be and any tips on how i can even this out.

re: strokeplay versus stableford
user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 29th Apr 2013 09:30

To me, there is one simple answer. In strokeplay every shot counts from 1st tee to 18th green, but in stableford it doesn't.

To even your scores out, treat both the same. It is a simple case of knowing when to attack a hole and when not too. Putting a ball back into play rather than try the spectacular will always be the difference between the two formats.

user504404
Reply : Mon 29th Apr 2013 12:09

Stroke play is a completely different ball game to stableford as David says and should be treated accordingly.

You can be playing your best ever golf over 17holes, but one disaster can ruin your medal round.

I try to play a little more conservatively when playing a medal than stableford, especially on holes where hazards play a part.

I actually prefer medals to stableford as it evens out the field a lot more.

user417395
Reply : Mon 29th Apr 2013 15:29

many thanks guys have read and digested i have another strokeplay comp sat so will use course management and play more conservative and see what score i can post will get back to you.

user417395
Reply : Tue 30th Apr 2013 18:29

it is stableford this w/e but have been to course today and played 9 holes more conservatively as above and i have to say the difference was perhaps 2-3 shots

user26342
Reply : Thu 2nd May 2013 14:06

Difference between stroke play & a stableford game with your mates is normally you are playing the course from the back tees which also adds pressure.

I would take playing under my hcap in strokplay everytime over scoring 40 points in stableford.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top