Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

lofts information

Posted by: user451727 | Fri 26th Apr 2013 21:37 | Last Reply

Hi guys, I own a set of MD Golf Superstrong ST2 irons which I am really happy with. I am after a new wedge to add to the exsisting PW and SW. My problem is I cannot find the lofts of of my clubs anywhere, even emailing MD Golf has not helped as they have not bothered to reply. If anyone out there can give me an idea of the lofts I would be grateful. Thanks in advance, Colin.

re: lofts information
user417395
Reply : Sun 28th Apr 2013 18:31

usually a pw is 48 degrees and a sw is 56 ask at your golf course and the pro shop should be able to check for you

user504404
Reply : Sun 28th Apr 2013 19:46

Colin

I have a set of ST2 superstrongs

My SW is 52Deg (according to my mate who has a machine that measures loft), PW is about 48Deg (not had that measured though).

Personally I would look for a lob wedge of 58Deg - upwards, maybe even 2 of them if you have enough space in your bag.

I currently have a Cleveland 58Deg and I might well get a 60 or 62 to add to it.

user451727
Reply : Mon 29th Apr 2013 15:06

Hi Nigel,

I have looked a bit more on the web and found a review of the ST2 Superstrongs that we own. The reviewer states the 5 iron at 27 degrees and the SW at 55 degrees. I am looking at the MD Norman Drew wedges and may go for a 58 degree one. They have a low bounce and standard bounce but get very good reviews from just about everyone that reviews them.

user24437
Reply : Mon 29th Apr 2013 15:22

Like most MD stuff Colin it's quality kit at budget prices. It's not a famous, pro endorsed brand and is usually dismissed because of this but I've used a fair bit of their stuff over the years and always found it excellent (apart from the gloves and balls). Currently use a Superstrong 60 deg wedge which is as good as a Vokey (IMO) but a 3rd of the price - indeed that's the reason why most magazine reviews split their tests into vague categories like budget, improver and top of the range - after all why would anyone want to pay �75 for a 3 wood when one costing �200 is just as good Errr....

user451727
Reply : Mon 29th Apr 2013 16:07

Hi Tim,

I find a few people turn their noses up at MD equipment and would rather pay a fortune for a bigger named brand. I have contemplated buying a MD driver as well, but quite like my old TaylorMade R540 and I seem to hit it well. I also own a Benross VeloCT 3 wood which I find to be fantastic off the fairway, I paid �15.00 for it, best money I have ever spent. I am definately going to try these MD Norman Drew wedges out soon though.

Cheers, Colin.

user504404
Reply : Mon 29th Apr 2013 19:28

Hi Colin

I totally back up what Tim has said about MD, yes initially I was a little sceptical due to the price of the gear.

I tried out a couple of the ST2 Irons last year and liked them so much that I bought 5-SW. I like a heavier Iron and also they are a lot more forgiving than my previous set that it was a no brainer at the price.

As for other MD clubs I also have a ST2 21Deg Hybrid - which has replaced my 3&4 Irons - I love the club

I have read that the new driver has been given good reviews - I have not tried it though as like yourself I am happy with my current driver (R7 Superquad)

I think you are doing the right thing looking at 58Deg to begin with, then maybe in future look at 60,62 or maybe even 64 if you want to add another club. My CG16 58Deg has 12Deg of bounce and I actually use it out of bunkers instead of my SW as the bounce is much better.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top