Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Etiquette

Posted by: user455045 | Wed 17th Apr 2013 17:50 | Last Reply

I am playing regularly with a couple of friends and I get a little tetchy about a friend who never seems to take a " Turn " in tending the flag or putting it back after play, he finishes his Putt and goes straight to his trolley to record his score etc. Can anyone enlighten me as to what should happen during friendly matches and Club competitions.

re: Etiquette
user80078
Reply : Wed 17th Apr 2013 20:27

Why don't you and your other chum walk off the green and invite the miscreant to replace the flag. If you did this on every third hole he would soon get the message.

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 17th Apr 2013 21:32

I'm not sure if there is any for this situation.

When I play the person who holes out first would normally pick up the flag, and replace it when everyone has finished.

user410273
Reply : Thu 18th Apr 2013 07:41

There's a few ways to gently get the point over. You could just tell him its his turn with the flag. Or whoever is holding the flag when he putts could say "you've won the prize" and hand it to him. Or someone who is holding the flag could ask him if he's felt how heavy the flag is. When he tries it you all could make a joke of "we knew we'd get you to hold the flag one day." He 'll get the message eventually.

user43166
Reply : Thu 18th Apr 2013 08:15

Don't beat around the bush... tell him straight. He's a friend.

user451055
Reply : Fri 19th Apr 2013 13:04

I would definitely tell him. It is rare for someone to not follow etiquette deliberately - it is usually because they don't know. If I was not doing something right I would want to know.

user455045
Reply : Fri 19th Apr 2013 13:11

Thanks everyone. Just going to wait for the right moment.

user26342
Reply : Fri 19th Apr 2013 13:20

Just ask him "can you hold the flag please?"

user43763
Reply : Fri 19th Apr 2013 19:45

tell him to join this site and go through the forums lol

I do feel for you though, my mate is a git for teeing off first regardless of score, i constantly remind him that honors are earned not taken

user52922
Reply : Sat 20th Apr 2013 11:32

If it hurts you that much, Alun, I would suggest telling him that he has just played out of turn and to replay his shot in the correct order, especially if he has boomed one.

On the other hand everyone who plays with me plays ready golf and as I am the quickest around I always tee off first. No point in me waiting for an age while my big booming friends wait till the group in front are three hundred yards away before they play. I just speed up play.

user43166
Reply : Tue 23rd Apr 2013 08:29

Very good point John. How many times does one wait on the tee to let the group in front clear only to "duff it"!!. Best to let the group clear anyway if there is a chance of hitting them.

However, I like your idea of letting someone else take the honour if they can safely play first. It would speed things up. Anything that speeds things up is good for me...

user451055
Reply : Wed 24th Apr 2013 08:30

In New Zealand, if you get a bit behind the group in front they have a 'twos' policy. If you are playing in a fourball then the first two to finish go off to the next tee and hit their shots. By the time they have hit the other two will have finished and be ready to hit. It makes it much easier to catch up when someone has had a horror of a hole and you have lost ground.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top