Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Tiger facing disqualification ??

Posted by: user8 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Sat 13th Apr 2013 09:00 | Last Reply
re: Tiger facing disqualification ??
user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 13th Apr 2013 10:24

He stated he didn't like his drop area in the drop zone so didn't drop there. He stated he had taken the decision to return to the place he took the original shot from instead. So far, no problem. Then he says he deliberately went a further two yards back from that position to improve his chances by using the same swing. Isn't this equivalent (although I appreciate not identical) to improving your lie?

In any case, the rules state you have to play "as nearly as possible" to he place the original shot was played. If he knowingly dropped it 2 yards away from that place then he has knowingly played his ball from the wrong position. Given that to be the case, a 2 shot penalty should have been applied. He didn't, he signed his card and therefore should be disqualified for signing an incorrect card

Bet they won't DQ him though, sme people seem to be above the rules (but not 14 year old boys apparently)

user100745
Reply : Sat 13th Apr 2013 10:36

Tiger used the water hazard rule keep the flag the piont the ball entered the water hazard in line and go as far back as you want

user504404
Reply : Sat 13th Apr 2013 10:37

I think this ruling will depend on....

1. Can they see where Tiger's divot is from his original shot
  2. Can they work out the distance he played his next shot from the divot "if still there"
  3. Exactly what Tiger said "ie I went 2yds back"

IMO he might even DSQ himself before they make a ruling.

Not the first time Tiger has had issues with rules, got himself DSQ recently from "embedded ball, relief mix up"

user24437
Reply : Sat 13th Apr 2013 11:12

It's where the ball enters the hazard and not where it crossed the hazard is the moot point here Kenneth. Agreed, if he'd dunked it straight in the water he could have played it where he did, but the point is it hit the pin and entered the water hazard maybe 10 feet left of that from the green. So that rule shouldn't apply.

He won't be DQ'd though

user89876
Reply : Sat 13th Apr 2013 12:19

Kenneth, he didn,t, he chose the spot from the last hit but didn,t do it correctly

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 13th Apr 2013 13:10

Yep I think his choices were;

1. drop zone
  2. nearest point last shot taken
  3. line of entry/flag

At the moment all the speculation and TV coverage, plus his comments, points to the fact he did nearest point of last shot but then went 2 yards back. So would be DQ

I suspect he will argue that he used the last shot as a reference point for his yardage but in fact used the line of entry/flag based on where the thought the ball went in and then went 2 yards back to get the yardage he wanted.

Obviously it's easy for us to play armchair referee after the event and with the use of all the TV cameras. On the course it's slightly different and anyone know if he was still watching the ball drop in or did he turn away or look down ? if he did then he would never know 100% where it went in.

Arguably he should be DQd if us armchair fans are correct but I kind of hope he isn't and also wonder how far $$$$ talks and how much of an hard line the officials will take especially with the slow play issue yesterday as well.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 13th Apr 2013 13:35

Sky sports analysis & video, actually looks quite clear as a DQ

http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/8635820/tiger-should-go

although Back9network have an article referring to Rule 33-7 which says the DQ could be waived by the rules committee.

Guess we are all waiting to see.

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 13th Apr 2013 13:49

The PGA Tour/Masters Committee can use R33-7 and not DQ him, but then must add Penalty Strokes instead. Interesting to see what happens.

user52922
Reply : Sat 13th Apr 2013 14:00

Looks as though you Woods haters are really lapping this up, not one of you has mentioned the quality shot he played for his third only to get that horrible result, yet you wish to pile on even more misery. Shame on you.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 13th Apr 2013 14:19

2 of the best approach shots on the 15th yesterday both by Tiger and real shame about the first hitting the flagstick!

I think everyone wants to see Tiger play in the Masters

user504404
Reply : Sat 13th Apr 2013 14:49

David spot on with rule 33-7.

Golf rules have and always will be mad Garry!!

Reply : Sat 13th Apr 2013 14:57

Garry,

Tiger said he dropped further back to get a 'better' lie/yardage. This is improving his lie under the Rules. If this is OK then any amateur who has to 'reload' can then choose where they want to drop. Can't happen!

user354092
Reply : Sat 13th Apr 2013 15:02

Tiger now given a two shot penalty and will start the day on 1 under with the same tee time. A new TV rule has saved him.

Reply : Sat 13th Apr 2013 15:21

Owen,

Which TV Rule is that?

I thought it was a new addition to The RoG for 2012.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 13th Apr 2013 16:50

Official Statement

Statement from Tournament Headquarters

Yesterday afternoon, the Rules Committee was made aware of a possible Rules violation that involved a drop by Tiger Woods at the 15th hole.

In preparation for his fifth shot, the player dropped his ball in close proximity to where he had played his third shot in apparent conformance with Rule 26. After being prompted by a television viewer, the Rules Committee reviewed a video of the shot while he was playing the 18th hole. At that moment and based on that evidence, the Committee determined he had complied with the Rules.

After he signed his scorecard, and in a television interview subsequent to the round, the player stated that he played further from the point than where he had played his third shot. Such action would constitute playing from the wrong place.

The subsequent information provided by the player�s interview after he had completed play warranted further review and discussion with him this morning. After meeting with the player, it was determined that he had violated Rule 26, and he was assessed a two-stroke penalty. The penalty of disqualification was waived by the Committee under Rule 33 as the Committee had previously reviewed the information and made its initial determination prior to the finish of the player�s round.

Fred Ridley Chairman, Competition Committees

Last edit : Sat 13th Apr 2013 16:51
user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 13th Apr 2013 17:05

Comment from Tiger

At hole #15, I took a drop that I thought was correct and in accordance with the rules. I was unaware at that time I had violated any rules.

I didn�t know I had taken an incorrect drop prior to signing my scorecard. Subsequently, I met with the Masters Committee Saturday morning and was advised they had reviewed the incident prior to the completion of my round. Their initial determination was that there was no violation, but they had additional concerns based on my post-round interview. After discussing the situation with them this morning, I was assessed a two-shot penalty. I understand and accept the penalty and respect the Committees� decision.

user80078
Reply : Sun 14th Apr 2013 13:03

Disqualification Penalty: Commitee Discretion. A penalty of disqualification may in exceptional individual cases be waived if....your name is Tiger Woods.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 14th Apr 2013 13:10

However much I love to watch Tiger and see him competing for majors especially later today in the Masters something just doesn't sit right with me on this issue.

We all now know how it played out and how he benefited from rules and how the rules worked but I can't stop thinking about this incident last year during the PGA Tour Q-school

http://golfweek.com/news/2012/nov/05/blayne-barber-disqualifies-himself-six-days-after-/

At the end of the day he was penalised 2 strokes which would have been the penalty if he had realised when on course but .....

user80078
Reply : Sun 14th Apr 2013 14:31

To quote someone else: In his own admission, for his fifth shot, he gave himself perfect yardage that he wasn't entitled to, using feedback from a shot he had just hit. If he then signs for a 6, he has nowhere to go but DQ.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 14th Apr 2013 22:54

Quote from an ex-European Tour Pro I spoke to today. I asked him his thoughts on the Tiger decision:-

"It's a disgrace, but then there's always been one rule for one and one for others on the Tour"

Says it all really. In his view, Tiger knew what he was doing, admitted he did something wrong and should have been DQ'd. Also said no way he would withdraw as he would argue he was abiding by the rules

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 15th Apr 2013 08:34

We've all moved on but doesn't look like the news coverage has! check out this analysis photo which shows Tiger may have played from pretty much the correct place

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/golf--photos-show-tiger-woods-may-not-have-deserved-a-two-stroke-penalty-204353354.html

user320021
Reply : Mon 15th Apr 2013 09:02

Interesting photos Darren!

I also heard during some of the discussions on it that Tiger spoke to one of the rules officials before signing for his card after 18 and they confirmed that it was a one shot penalty for his drop and that was all, as such he signed for the card based on advise from the relevant official, which is why they decided that to disqualify him for doing what the rules official said would probably be equally unfair.

Personally I'm glad that Tiger got to carry on, having a personality so well recognised in the game is good for the sport, however Adam Scott winning was perfect, especially as one of my colleagues was his coach in his early days and we are going out for a round in an hour (if he is sober enough!)

Reply : Mon 15th Apr 2013 10:17

I personally think Tiger shot himself in the foot by admitting that he looked for a position to drop that wasn't 'as near as possible to the original spot'.

user504404
Reply : Mon 15th Apr 2013 10:52

David I agree totally

I don't believe for one minute Tiger was trying to bend the rules, more of a case of being ignorant towards them however,,,,

In his interview it was more of a case of telling the world how damn good he was in that he had to drop 2 yards further back to prevent his next shot from hitting the pin on the full!!!!! Yes he is that good.

In this case his huge ego/self belief kinda worked against him - and left him in an awkward position

Was a great event and in some ways neither of the two in the play off deserved to lose but good on Adam :-)

user451055
Reply : Mon 15th Apr 2013 11:49

I don't think Tiger deliberately cheated. I think he just had a bit of a brain fart and took what he thought was a valid drop. He got the rules mixed up. It isn't surprising really when you consider the horrible bad luck of his original shot hitting the pin and rebounding into the water. If he had any idea he had done something wrong there is no way he would have mentioned it in his interview.

He definitely did do something wrong though and he definitely signed an incorrect card.

He should then have been DQd.

The new rule is for mistakes a player made that they couldn't have known about and only found out because they are on TV - like a double hit that you can only see in slow mo. Getting a rule mixed up is not the same thing at all.

Augusta decided to misuse this rule because Tiger is such a draw and the ratings would drop if he was DQd - a totally commercial decision.

If Tiger had more scruples he would have DQd himself - but he isn't that kind of character.

Tiger in the end went along with the committee decision and he had a perfect right to do so. Does this change my opinion of him? - not really - he is great at golf but I wouldn't have expected him to behave differently in these circumstances. I would expect almost every other player to, I think they would have DQd themselves.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 15th Apr 2013 20:25

This is a great read from Barry Rhodes 'Tiger Woods Penalty at the Masters; Is Golf the Loser?' breaking down the sequence of events and referring back to the specific rules

http://www.barryrhodes.com/2013/04/tiger-woods-penalty-at-masters-is-golf.html

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top