Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

drives with snow on em

Posted by: user510233 | Wed 3rd Apr 2013 19:11 | Last Reply

im relatively new to golf and was advised by on of my customers who plays alot of golf to up the degrees of my driver as it would aid me, i got a 13.5 degree ping g15 and have used it since xmas, im finding now my drives are going realy high and coming down with snow on them, is it time to get a 10 degree or drop down to a twevle? would this make much difference and make the ball go further rarther than higher? any help would be much appreciated thanks

re: drives with snow on em
user459944
Reply : Wed 3rd Apr 2013 21:00

adam, sure you not teeing it up too high, I found that when I first started using large driver that I was getting under the ball too much 150yrds up 90 yrds long, dropped the tee by a couple of MM and got it just right, just a thought?

user451727
Reply : Wed 3rd Apr 2013 22:34

Adam, I also had this, and occasionally still do. Try and look at your ball position relative in your stance. If you have it too far forward in your stance and the ball being teed up, the driver is well on its way through the upswing and this will cause your ball to sky. Hope this helps.

user504404
Reply : Thu 4th Apr 2013 11:15

Adam

I use a 10.5 but quite frankly I would get on fine with 12 or even more. The more loft you have will reduce the amount of side spin so hopefully will keep your drives straighter, so don't worry too much about the height.

Do you feel like you are hitting your drives sweet when they go too high? If not maybe try teeing a bit lower as it might be a case of your club impacting a bit too low?

I like to hit the ball on the upswing so I tee the ball quite high and have it alongside my left foot, ie well forward.

Have a play with tee height, and ball position on the driving range to see if it helps.

user217280
Reply : Thu 4th Apr 2013 17:00

The ball shouldn't go as high as it sounds you are hitting it even with a 13.5 degree driver, sounds more like you may be chopping down on the ball and popping it into the air, so probably a swing issue rather than an equipment issue, the club may be coming to steep in to ball, the angle of attack needs to be shallower with the driver, I see it a lot with higher handicap players, they tend to sway their upper bodies ahead of the ball, steepening the angle of attack. make sure you focus on the back of the ball, and although you want to get your weight on to your left side, make sure you keep your head and upper body behind the ball through impact. this will shallow the angle of attack. Hope this helps.

user43763
Reply : Mon 8th Apr 2013 11:44

Just gone through a similar thing with my driver. I was also playing a g15 12* and I would highly recommend that anyone struggling with a driver try this one out. this should be everyones first driver in my book. Anyway, I was driving the ball really well but felt I could get more out of a less lofted driver but didn't know how much help the extra loft was giving me. didn't want to buy a new expensive 10.5* only to go back to the 12. Went to American golf and got fitted with the new kit they had installed and I came out with a titleist 9.5* stiff shaft. the pro let me try out my driver to compare and the results were drastic. Go give it a try, with my 12* I was getting 18* dynamic loft. the 9.5 brings that down a lot. Go get fitted even if you don't buy anything the whole experience is a revelation

user510233
Reply : Mon 8th Apr 2013 12:24

thanks for the comments guys much appreciated

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top