Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Drivers - Loft - Distance and technique

Posted by: user43763 | Tue 2nd Apr 2013 13:46 | Last Reply

Hi guys, Before I start I want to say in preparation for the usually replies, yes I will try the new clubs before I buy, I know its all about technique and the individual and im not basing my whole decision on what people on here say but I WILL be taking their opinions into account whilst making my decision.

So with that out of the way, Im very tempted to get a new driver (probably the Vrs Covert or the G25). The reason for this being as when I bought my current G15, I was fighting a horrible slice and the pro recommended I got the 12* version and to his credit it has done me well. I now hit the ball very straight and quite long. Last round played - 14/14 fairways all at least 220yds.

Here is where my predicament starts. Now im hitting the ball long and straight how will I know if I have "outgrown" my 12? Its coming to summer and the course is getting really nice and I wonder how much more I could get out of a driver using a 10.5 perhaps. Playing recently with some decent accomplished players (12 & 14 hcps) I was keeping with them on every hole but didn't want to hit the ball any harder as I was happy to swing within myself. Any harder and I think my swing would suffer.

I know if its not broke dont fix it but I want progression but am afraid if I go spend �250 on a new driver that I will realise how much i was relying on the extra loft to keep it straight.

Anyone been through a similar situation?

re: Drivers - Loft - Distance and technique
user451727
Reply : Tue 2nd Apr 2013 16:45

Alun, if you are driving as straight and far as 12 and 14 handicap players, I would not be tempted into changing my driver. It sounds like you have got a good swing and technique developed along with a good muscle memory for where your body and club face should be throughout the swing. You have made a few comments in your original post to know you are playing with fire here. "didn't want to hit the ball any harder as I was happy to swing within myself. Any harder and I think my swing would suffer." "I know if its not broke dont fix it" It's totally up to you but I would advise you to look at other aspects of your game for improvements before splashing out and possibly go back to square one. The majority of shots in a round are played from 100 yards in so I would look at your approach,chipping and putting, before trying to improve an area where it looks like you are doing pretty well. Regards, Colin.

user80078
Reply : Tue 2nd Apr 2013 19:11

Alan, I would second Colin's comments. Your driving sounds fine and is probably one of the stronger aspects of your game. Keep your cash in your pocket for now and look at where you are losing shots to par. It's probably in the short game that you can pick up. Good luck.

user43763
Reply : Tue 2nd Apr 2013 19:37

thanks for the advice guys and i thought thats pretty much what id get but im glad now ive seen it from others. i was just under the assumption that if i did everything the same then the shear physics (less loft=more forward movement) would allow the ball to go further. Or like you guys say maybe i should just be happy with what i have.

Forgot to mention that i have some free lessons coming up, would it be an idea to see what the pro thinks and take it from there? even though im itching to buy the VRS i am in the position to take it or leave it.

user417395
Reply : Wed 3rd Apr 2013 14:14

i would probably reiterate what the other guys have said. I have been in a similar situation and tried at least three different driver from our golf shop and different lofts. It was only when i changed my setup that my driving improved and now use my callaway diablo i had previous and use a fazer fp5 for my second set, although my callaway goes slightly further as you would expect not significantly enough to merit spending a fortune on new gear because all the mags rave about it. As Colin said it is the scoring shots that count and if like me your money would be better spent elsewhere as i am intending doing.

user504404
Reply : Thu 4th Apr 2013 11:27

Bottom line is don't worry about distance Alun.

I like yourself have great FIR stats, but I do not hit the ball a country mile as I am now in my 40's!

However remember the ball does not fly as far in the cold air!!!

I guess I am averaging between 220 and 250 currently, depending on temp and wind direction, and because I hit most fairways I am happy. I do not care about getting on par 5's in 2 anymore.

My advice would be the same as the other guys, don't change unless you need to. An certainly do not spend that kind of money!!!! I spent �60 on my driver, 2nd hand and I don't want to change it.

user43763
Reply : Mon 8th Apr 2013 11:51

just thought id update and finish the thread off. Went to AG and tried out the Nike VRS Covert, struggled to find the middle of the face with the first two shots before the pro there said "its not for me" a little disheartened, the pro went off to get me what he thought would work. Came back with the Titleist 913 d2. open minded I hit maybe 15 balls and we looked at the numbers. compared to the nike they were awesome. we then went on to try 5 or so different shafts all the while he didn't want me to know what components I was using or settings the club was on. after about another 50 balls with differeing shafts he showed me the numbers and recommended the one I came out with. overall an excellent experience. The pro was great and really helpful. More importantly I gained 30 yards with very little loss of control.

user356537
Reply : Tue 9th Apr 2013 17:20

Alun, that sounds very impressive! If you were hitting it at least 220 yards before the club change and have now added 30 yards that puts you at the bottom end of the European Tour stats driving distance averages! Colin Montgomery is averaging 262 yards, Michael Campbell 266 yards and Jose Maria Olazabel 268 yards.

Not bad for a 27 handicap!

user504404
Reply : Tue 9th Apr 2013 17:49

I actually had not noticed Alun's handicap when he posted Richard, I kinda assumed he was somewhere between 8 and 16 handicap with his FIR stats and driving distance average.

user43763
Reply : Tue 9th Apr 2013 20:49

Wow guys, some very flattering comments there but it just highlights how much other areas of my game need work.gir stats are painful. The 30 yards gain was on the simulator so ill see if it holds true on the course. Should be interesting.thanks again for the comments.

user504404
Reply : Tue 9th Apr 2013 21:07

Alun focus positively on your strong areas ie FIR and practice hard on your weaker areas.

My FIR and GIR stats are better than my current handicap but my Up&Down % and total putts per round are much worse.

I probably practice 90% on my short game currently

Hopefully your handicap will start to shoot down in the near future GL

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top