Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Keeping track of shots

Posted by: user455045 | Mon 25th Mar 2013 10:07 | Last Reply

Hi everyone. Just thought I might ask members for tips or how to keep track of every shot taken . To my embarrassment on occasions I have ( not intentionally ) forgotten little fluffed shots/ air shots etc. My playing partner has a knack of keeping the number of his and my shots per hole. We both made a conscious decision to record and count every shot of mine as this will give me a true picture of how I am progressing. Advice please.

re: Keeping track of shots
user455045
Reply : Tue 26th Mar 2013 09:29

Hey Dan.......what a simple idea. Great. It looks like I am the only one who has had that problem. I will use it next time I am playing.

user80078
Reply : Tue 26th Mar 2013 12:09

John, you can buy simple little counting devices that sit in your pocket and have a small lever which you depress. It then moves on a number dial. They are inexpensive and should be easy to find. Dan's tip is good, but I would have a problem with changing over tees from pocket to pocket as my golf glove doesn't like my pockets.

user198914
Reply : Wed 27th Mar 2013 00:33

If your scoring more than 10 on a hole I would just finish of and not worry too much about your actual score, just put your card into golf shake and work out the stableford points, and work on the positives! There is no point of having a 12 written on a card, if your playing someone of a similar standard you will both improve together! I remember though having numerous 15 s on the card and how good it felt to break the 120!

Paul

user455045
Reply : Wed 27th Mar 2013 09:55

Cheers for the encouragement Paul. The problem with picking up is that you never get to practice. The times I do pick up is when I can see the game behind has coaught us up. Still I long for the day when I break 100. Currently I get a score of between 108 and 115.

I have 2 answers for keeping a track of my scores a Clicker or count coins or tees from pocket to pocket. Any other favourites????????????????

user16106
Reply : Wed 27th Mar 2013 13:19

John, what is a typical hole for you ? if its off the tee top, then duff then fat then hit 120yds then sh**k then 100yds then air shot then 60yds then 4 putts, I can see how you may forget how many shots. My advise would be dont count until you start reaching greens in 1 or 2 shots over regulation. IE hitting the ball 100yds forward nearly every time. You will sharp get to this level with a little bit of practice. Also I would pick up your ball after 10 (hits or swings ) as a load of 11s, 12s in your mind wont make you feel any better. Just say blob. Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user455045
Reply : Wed 27th Mar 2013 13:55

Thanks Dave,good advice. Just off for a practice.

user198914
Reply : Wed 27th Mar 2013 17:00

hi john,

im not saying to pick up,, infact the opposite,, if you know your at 8 shots then whats the harm in playing 2/3 balls from that spot until you hit a good one!if your not playing serious, then an 8 or 10 make no difference

paul

user52922
Reply : Wed 27th Mar 2013 20:19

I am sorry you are having this counting problem John, myself I am fortunate that I can remember a round I played a couple of days ago and tell you what I took in club, where I was on the course and how many strokes I took, so it is difficult for me to relate to your problem. A simple method to keep score is to use 4's. 5's or even sixes as the benchmark on each hole and using ones memory knowing how many over or under you are in relation to the benchmark figure. I used to work off 4's but now not good enough so I work off 5's.

I have come across many players who seem to be unable to keep their score correctly but that is why we have someone else to mark our cards, so I suggest you forget about counting anything, play your game and let your partner tell you at the end what you have achieved.

user455045
Reply : Thu 28th Mar 2013 17:16

Thanks John. I think I am at the phase where Ineed to be certain of my score. In the past all I was concentrating on was hitting the ball as far forward as I could in the best possibly way.............................I was not really interested in my score if you see what I mean. I had a round today ( My best ever ) and used Dan's K idea of using tee's every time I hit a shot ( I used 5 pence pcs.) What i found was that I kept that going until I was on the green and I never forget how many putts I take, so the net effect was I was able to keep a track of my score. Simples . As it happens I played the best round ever. One 9 ,mostly 5's and 6's and 4 x 7's.

user398345
Reply : Mon 1st Apr 2013 18:12

I have had a similar problem, when you are still getting triple bogies or worse sometimes, it is easy to forget the stroke count at times, as you concentrate on trying to find your ball, and then the next good shot/shank/slice/air shot! I use a small electronic tally, loads to choose from on E-bay for a few quid. All you have to remember is to press the button after each stroke attempted and then reset to zero after completing the hole. It works very well for me.

user455045
Reply : Tue 2nd Apr 2013 09:42

Thanks Bob. As a matter of interest whats the counting device called

user398345
Reply : Tue 2nd Apr 2013 18:14

They are called "Talleys" - If you look on E-bay you could type that into the search box. for a wider choice of counting devices specially aimed at golfers you could follow through the path for Sports goods/golf/accessories and maybe look for shot counters. I just hope my battery lasts long enough that I only need to count up as far as 6 or 7 on a par 5 - but I'm not going to hold my breath! - Good luck, Bob.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top