Tee Times | Search | Reviews

News:

Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Feature: Young Golfers - Where does it end?

Posted by: user8 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Sun 24th Mar 2013 18:42 | Last Reply
re: Feature: Young Golfers - Where does it end?
user43763
Reply : Mon 25th Mar 2013 13:10

I agree with this article, there cant be anything more embarrasing then finishing dead last in a major tournament some 30 shots behind the leader. At least he can say he played? is it really playing when your that far off the pace or is it more like just getting the record/making his parents proud. Im sure thats the only reason they put these kids in most of the time. i feel bad for them, but who knows, got to be in it to win it

user356537
Reply : Mon 25th Mar 2013 20:06

Alun, this lad shot 15 under par (gross) it the Asia-Pacific Amateur Golf Championship and earned his place in the Masters by doing so. Surely, it is perfectly right that the best player gets the chance to go and play at Augusta?

Is he likely to win it? No. Will he make the cut? Probably not, but he just might. But whatever happens he will have an experience that few will ever enjoy. Good luck to him I say.

A number of years ago one of our members won the British Amateur Championship and got to play at Augusta. He missed the cut by just one shot having three putted the 16th in the second round.

user127691
Reply : Tue 26th Mar 2013 13:18

That article is the biggest load of rubbish I've read in quiet some time. The kid beat all other amateurs in Asia and earned his spot no matter what age. What are we going to do then let the bloke who came third play in his place because he is of appropriate age!!!!!!! He's a worse player so he going to get hammered even more.

And this missing the cut by 30 shots is a load of rubbish!! Justin Rose was a 17 year old amateur when he came 4th in the Open, and Tom Watson was well over 60 when he very nearly won it. Age is just a number if he's good enough he shoule be allowed to play.

Also what does he know about pushy parents etc. He shoule read some books on the subject of talent (which is a myth by the way) and he will soon realise its nothing to do with pushy parents its all about the child if the kids aint interested they wont make it.

user43763
Reply : Thu 28th Mar 2013 01:51

im sorry did i say the kid should be put down or something? it was just my opinion. should we start letting 15 yr old F1 drivers? I did say that hes got to be in it to win it and could well win it, but how many sports persons have we seen enter the big stage of sport too early only to crash out, theo wallcot, amir kahn. Even the olympics has an age limit of 14. I think you could argue the kid has "made it" playing professionally in a major tournament, where does he go from there. Im also sure lee westwood has the worst start to a PGA carrer with something like 17 consecutive missed cuts in his debut season? I wasnt crucifying the kid the way some of you had made out, god knows if i was in his position i would relish the chance to play even if i knew i was going to come dead last, that said, we going to ban anchored putters but its perfectly acceptable to see a 10yr old at the masters?

user127691
Reply : Thu 28th Mar 2013 09:50

Alun, Alot of what I was saying was aimed at the person who waisted his time wririting the article not at you. However, I don't understand the Walcott or Amir Khan examples. Khan could have waited till he was 50 he still would have got KO'd by anyone half decent the bloke is over confident and has a glass jaw, being young has nothing to do with it. Walcot's downfall is due to the fact he insists on staying at a team that have no hope of winning anything and continually play him out of position!!! Brightest centre forward at 17 in England playing on the wing, nothing to do with age if you ask me.

Also anchored putters are cheating being ten is not!! it's actually a disadvantage.

Child prodigies that fail are frequent but as I said before these are child prodigies being forced to do what they are doing by pushy parents etc. The kids who want to suceed will suceed regardelss of age. Tiger was on TV putting at 3, there were reports on him in golf monthly when he was 7 he had all the pressure on the world put on him and look where it got him.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top