Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

love of the game or love watching the game

Posted by: user459944 | Sat 9th Mar 2013 16:46 | Last Reply

just a quick thought, through my work I meet various people who are avid golfers, some are those that love playing the game and some are those that love watching the game, Me, I far more prefer to play it than watch, don't know what it is but it bores the hell out of me watching it on the box or going to watch it live, just wondered other peoples thoughts on this?

re: love of the game or love watching the game
user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 9th Mar 2013 17:39

I've been to the Ryder Cup when it was at the Belfry and I enjoyed it. Although it's hard work with all those other spectators there at the same time!

Last year I decided to get rid of Sky Sports as I wasn't watching it that much. When I thought about it I was probably watching about four football matches a year and one hour of golf a week (apart from the majors). So I ditched Sky Sports.

I would much rather be playing than watching.

Russ

user459944
Reply : Sat 9th Mar 2013 17:59

dunno what it is Russ, but I just cant watch it on the box, it is good seeing them play like the difficult shots or massive drives right to the flag on the highlights but other than that I just want to nod off, would much rather be on the fairways myself.

user462914
Reply : Sat 9th Mar 2013 18:24

play golf for me ,but i do like to watch on tv but they make it look so easy.

user375014
Reply : Sun 10th Mar 2013 20:20

Play golf for sure is more enjoyable i suppose that goes for most sports for me though except for Rugby!! But ive found watching alot of golf has given me so many tips on new shots i previously had never used such as the flop shot and low punch shots, so i can see why people wouldnt watch golf on tv but for me i get the most of my sky sports having watched alot of all four rounds this weekend and having watched the reds beats Spurs today. So just depends if you naturally watch any sport, personally i prefer playing but then again will watch pretty much any sport.

user451055
Reply : Mon 11th Mar 2013 09:28

We love both love both. Love playing but we also record all the European Tour and USPGA golf off sky and watch it all (fast forwarding all the adverts). I love watching them play, I love seeing those amazing shots and also love seeing them make the mistakes I do, although they tend to do it once a round not once a hole! I love the atmosphere of watching golf too. I've only been to the first day of The Open a couple of times but I love that too. I think I am obsessed. My husband is damn lucky.

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 11th Mar 2013 10:33

Playing is just one side to me. I also find walking with a Team Match enjoyable too, flitting between each match, seeing how the scores are going. This also supports the Team Members too.

Watching golf on TV is not as good on the first three days as it is during the final day, but attending The Open on any day is a joy. The atmosphere is second to none (Troon being the best).

user217280
Reply : Mon 11th Mar 2013 16:42

Playing with out a doubt, I enjoy watching golf but I can take it or leave it. I have been to Wentworth a few times to watch the top Europeans, but I have always enjoyed playing sport above watching.

user504923
Reply : Mon 11th Mar 2013 20:21

Its good to watch on a cold wet day, but you cant beat the joy of playing

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top