Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

WGCs - Time for a change?

Posted by: user418412 | Sat 9th Mar 2013 09:31 | Last Reply

Hello all,

Watching the coverage from Doral this week just two weeks after the matchplay I can't help thinking that the WGCs need a shake up. The majors are the majors and all have their special place in history and with 3 of them moving courses each year they always offer the best challenge and are a cut above. The next step down should be the WGCs and as far as I can see both Doral and Firestone are outdated and need changing. They can still be big tournaments without the WGC tag in the way The Players and PGA Wentworth are still significant. But isn't it time to get more of the biggies outside the States. The HSBC does that but does anyone agree Europe and the Middle East or Australasia deserve a chance. This would not only spread them around the world but also the calendar. Notice how I haven't mentioned the matchplay which I think offers something different and has a unique place as a tournament.

Are there any plans to alter the WGCs? How are co-sanctioned events planned between all the tours? Is it all down to sponsorship and money?

re: WGCs - Time for a change?
user16106
Reply : Sat 9th Mar 2013 11:04

I can see where youre coming from David but I dont think it will happen. I would have thought the PGA has at least half the votes to change anything and they would be reluctant to take BIG competitions away from the USA. Looking at the other side of the coin as a golf viewer I think that events that are away from USA or western europe ( time zone ) are a bit of a pain to watch. Some finishing around 6AM our time from the far east and austrilasia. So USA golf is perfect to watch. I could put up with missing a biggy once in a while but not a MAJOR. Keep em in the USA. Dave CAC handed Geordie.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top