Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Flying To LA With Golf Clubs

Posted by: user201647 | Wed 6th Mar 2013 09:20 | Last Reply

Just trying to find out if any one knows if golf clubs can be taken instead of my baggage want to put my cloths with my mums. We are flying with Delta air lines. How much do golf clubs weigh with travil bag? Is it better to pay extra to bring my golf clubs?

re: Flying To LA With Golf Clubs
user451055
Reply : Wed 6th Mar 2013 09:30

Hi Nathaniel, I am flying to San Francisco in October with Delta so have been through all of the baggage checking.

You can take one piece of baggage each in the hold of the plane. It can be a golf bag. There is a weight restriction of 23kg.

If you and your mum are going then you have one bag each which can be a suitcase and a golf bag.

What I do is weigh the bags using bathroom scales and pop some of the heavier stuff into the golf bag to make the weight up to just under the limit (remember to weigh it when it is in it's travel case). The golf bag with just clubs and balls will be under weight so you can put things in the side pockets. I also put a sock on each iron. It protects the clubs and also saves a bit more room in the suitcase!

user201647
Reply : Wed 6th Mar 2013 09:49

Thanks I was thinking of buying golf balls out there. Are golf balls cheaper in LA also will need some summer golf shoes so thinking of buying them there as well.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 6th Mar 2013 21:21

Nate,

All golf stuff is cheaper in the US. Roughly, something that is �100 in the UK is $100 in the US, so about 2/3 of the cost

I suggest using Golfsmith or Edwin Watts.

user201647
Reply : Wed 6th Mar 2013 21:33

Thanks

user24437
Reply : Wed 6th Mar 2013 22:26

23kg is a decent allowance, my clubs, carry bag (with all the bits and pieces I normally carry - 14kg all up usually), two pairs of shoes, 2 dozen golf balls in a travel bag comes in about 18.5kg all in. Probably room for other bits and pieces if pushed so I wouldn't worry too much about weight - just remember to allow room for bringing home stuff. Top tip though Don't use a padlock on your golf travel bag, use nylon electrical ties (zip ties). Easily removed by customs (and you with scissors) but tough enough to dissuade a casual theft. Customs usual just rip open padlocks and zips and will destroy a travel bag

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top