Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

The Great Putter Debate

Posted by: user338942 | Wed 6th Mar 2013 00:46 | Last Reply

Simple one: Where do you stand?

I go with the R&A stance.

I haven't used one, but I can see how it would eliminate the slight pushes and pulls that you might get on those shaky 5-6 footers etc. Not an advantage I think should be there.

Discuss

re: The Great Putter Debate
user80078
Reply : Wed 6th Mar 2013 11:50

The long putter should have been killed at birth. It was clearly a breach of the golf stroke. Sadly it wasn't because of worries about manufacturers comebacks. They are now in a right pickle. You have to go with the R&A and USGA however. The US Tour does not and should never make the rules of golf.

user52922
Reply : Wed 6th Mar 2013 17:01

The long putter should never have been allowed in the first place, along with metal woods and cavity backed irons. Talk about downgrading a game of skill, you couldn't make it up.

user369251
Reply : Wed 6th Mar 2013 21:11

For young touring pros, it's a get out clause of the yips. For the less abled and possibly older player , it's a way to continue playing this great game without hurting backs etc (from what I've heard). Surely there must be a compromise? At pro level, I'd ban them though. JP - I understand your frustrations with the modern game, but to be honest, it's all my generation know.

user52922
Reply : Wed 6th Mar 2013 21:17

I accept that, Chris, but please do not call it progress. The game you currently know and love is far removed from the game of yesteryear and in my opinion it is this new equipment that prevents you from becoming the player you could have possibly been.

user369251
Reply : Wed 6th Mar 2013 21:33

That's sorta what I'm trying to get at. I'll never be able to know if I could play to the same standard now, as 30 years ago for example. It's technological progress, but to the detriment of the game you fell in love with in terms of skill etc. even tho I use the cavity backs, RZN core balls, metal square head driver, it does annoy me when you see courses being lengthened, just to make them appear harder.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 6th Mar 2013 21:34

If the ruling bodies decide to ban it, then the US Tour need to suck it up. They play to the rules, not decide them

As regards the decision, I don't care. Under the current rules, anyone can use them if they wish so any perceived advantage is the opinion of the user. If it made that much of a difference, everyone would be using them

user504404
Reply : Thu 7th Mar 2013 11:42

Ban them - pure and simple IMO

Golf should be played with a free swing.

I am an average putter/use a normal blade putter - I just keep practicing to try and improve

user43166
Reply : Thu 7th Mar 2013 12:52

Absolutely no question - ban them. They make poor putters less poor.

If I'm sitting down on a Sunday night watching the PGA golf with none of my favourite players in contention I always go for a player using a "proper" putter.

Agree with you Mr Bonney - should have been killed at birth.

user80078
Reply : Thu 7th Mar 2013 12:54

Whilst I understand where you are coming from John and agree with your opinions on the changes the new clubs have made, I can only report that the large headed metal driver, range of hybrids and cavity back irons have allowed me at 65 yrs, to be playing probably the best golf of my life. That said, I never reached the high standard of golf you have played and are obviously coming at the changes from a different place. However, my support for new innovation has never extended to long putters and feel it was a sad day when the games law makers let it pass into acceptance.

user103169
Reply : Sun 10th Mar 2013 15:11

Well you know I've tried and failed with the belly putter. Probably becsuse I have a big belly !... It was ok on those short shaky putts but felt I lost a lot of distance control. Now gone back to a conventional length puttr

user103169
Reply : Sun 10th Mar 2013 15:12

Well you know I've tried and failed with the belly putter. Probably becsuse I have a big belly !... It was ok on those short shaky putts but felt I lost a lot of distance control. Now gone back to a conventional length puttr

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top