Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Fake eBay equipment

Posted by: user508439 | Fri 22nd Feb 2013 21:07 | Last Reply

Everywhere you go you always get warned about people selling fake clubs on ebay. Has anyone actually been stung by this? Or have you never had any trouble?

re: Fake eBay equipment
user77012
Reply : Sat 23rd Feb 2013 10:18

Not personally , but have seen many fake clubs,grips and shafts bought on ebay and the usual explanation for the purchase was they were cheap...

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 23rd Feb 2013 14:28

You used to be able to buy Rolex watches from Leeds Market for �20 a few years ago. Everyone who bought them knew they were fake, even the guys selling them.

Today, people try and sell the fakes as original and that causes the problems.

Remember the saying "If it sounds too good to be true then it most likely is"

user320021
Reply : Sat 23rd Feb 2013 17:11

Yes, I have bought a couple, an R9 3 wood, I knew what to look for as I had a genuine driver, the seller wouldn't let me pick it up despite being fairly local, when I told him it was fake he didn't take long to refund the money and didn't even want it sent back, probably so I didn't have his address! I ended up going to American Golf and buying one in their sale. I also bought a fake Cleveland CG15 wedge (I don't think the seller knew, as it was used), but I still use that as the tech in the wedge isn't as difficult to replicate as in the wood, but found out how far out the loft was when I used Golf Direct for their "golf mot".

If you know what to check for then buy with confidence as eBay will back you up, but there is money to be made by conmen so be careful the fakes are out there.

user469358
Reply : Sun 24th Feb 2013 13:04

The problem with fake golf clubs being sold as the real thing is that the prices charged are usually the same because selling them cheap would give the game away so they are not always so easy to spot. Always buy from a seller with plenty of good feedback rather than someone with zero or just a few because these sellers just start a new account when their feedback gets bad. Also never buy any golf clubs that are being shipped from China. There are quite a few websites selling new clubs a lot cheaper than the RRP and these are often the ones to be wary of. What can happen when someone buys a set of these is of course pretty soon they realise they have been conned and often put them on ebay in an attempt to recoup their losses and pass their problem on to somone else.

I have some good stuff up for sale at the moment, all genuine of course.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/baldy090471/m.html?item=140921101686&ssPageName=STRK%3AMESELX%3AIT&rt=nc&_trksid=p
2047675.l2562

Last edit : Sun 24th Feb 2013 13:04

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top