Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Rory/Nike

Posted by: user369251 | Fri 22nd Feb 2013 11:54 | Last Reply

I don't intend to jump on the "he shouldn't have switched" bandwagon, but apart from Thorbjorn Olesen, and Russ Henley, I can't think of too many Nike guys playing well this year. Do we blame the clubs? Or do we look at each player and their circumstances? Tiger has won this year, but played like a"3 dollar violin" in the last round according to Feherty. Very hit and miss. I use Nike myself, and have nothing but praise for then. However, at the very top of the sport, can they really produce the best? I'm asking this question, as when they market to all and sundry, then their two star performers flop, it can't be doing their sales any good. So, anyone care to have their 2p's worth? Is Rory in a slump, or are the sticks not all that? Thoughts please!

re: Rory/Nike
user425195
Reply : Fri 22nd Feb 2013 23:46

From what I can see, Rory is not in great form at the moment, and it would look like he's not playing enough golf to play himself into form. It's great that the top pro's can pick and chose which tournaments they play, but if it's not working, surely adding a couple into the schedule has got to help. I wonder how long Nike will put up with his off course distractions, before they make him play some golf?

user369251
Reply : Sat 23rd Feb 2013 08:57

Totally agree Greg. Rory is now a Nike employee and they are going to want to see a return on their investment sooner rather than later. Given it's less than 50 days to the Masters, is that enough time for him to play his way into form?

user77012
Reply : Sat 23rd Feb 2013 10:09

Guys, form is temporary class is permanent , he'll be back. There's nothing wrong with the equipment, they wont be using off the shelf gear , and Tigers issues are his swing mechanics not the clubs. That said he won't be the first player to go backwards after a brand change , it has ruined some players careers.

user52922
Reply : Sat 23rd Feb 2013 11:05

I cannot see what the panic is, they both lost in the first round of the matchplay. Rory had to suffer Shane Lowry going on a bit of a run, which can happen to anyone, Tiger was 2 under when he lost his match and playing well, he said.

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 23rd Feb 2013 14:22

Nothing to worry about yet. Match-Play is a strange format with 'form' issues. Take the FA Cup as a similar trend and add the saying "every dog has its day".

user504404
Reply : Sun 24th Feb 2013 10:26

At times I do not understand the mentality of professional golfers.

When you have a solid bag of clubs and are playing well, why change the whole lot!!! I know the answer and it is one word starting with a "G"

Anyhow it is only early days for Rory but his current form is well below last years at the mo.

Also why do these pro's resort to doing high risk hobbies like snowboarding and skiing and risk injuring themselves?

user246626
Reply : Sun 24th Feb 2013 16:22

In my opinion its probably the biggest mistake he's made. He's worked so hard to get to the world number 1 slot and he was playing superbly. Then he decides to change everything. He's basically going to have to go back to the beginning and get used to his new clubs and we'll just have to wait and see

user43166
Reply : Sun 24th Feb 2013 18:52

I don't blame the equipment. At that level I'm sure they can build everything to an exact specification. Rory had a similar slump last year (or year before?) which seemed to coincide with a lot of attention from a certain tennis player.

I think Rory will get back to his best, with the Nike's, so long as his mind is on his (golf) game.

user369251
Reply : Mon 25th Feb 2013 08:19

Thanks for the comments all, nice to see friendly debate (unlike the childish name calling on football forums...). Personally, I hope Rory does focus and play like he did at the end of last season. When watching golf in person or on tv, it's great to see the best play brilliantly, regardless of manufacturer.

Can I ask? Is anyone loyal to a brand themselves, or do they get whatever is best for them, regardless of name.

user451055
Reply : Tue 26th Feb 2013 13:42

Didn't Rory have a bad patch last season too where he missed 4 out of 5 cuts and everyone was all doom and gloom. He then slowly got better and ended up having a cracking season. I will be expecting him to peak for the majors.

user89876
Reply : Sat 2nd Mar 2013 06:15

Now he has tooth ache which caused him to walk off the course, a doubting thomas would believe it,s just another low point after switching clubs

user52922
Reply : Sat 2nd Mar 2013 10:28

Just shows that custom fitting does not work at all, one still has to learn how to swing each club. If a manufacturer cannot produce a club exactly to the requirements of the purchaser then he has wasted both his time and money.

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 2nd Mar 2013 13:02

"A bad workman always blames his tools"

Rory is young, in love, and now a multi-multi millioaire. Its his focus that has gone and not for the first time.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 2nd Mar 2013 16:49

I'm with Lyth; time off at the end of the year, switching clubs, reduced event entry and the main factor of jetting around the world with his tennis playing friend. Smacks of a loss of focus at present.

Hope he gets it back ready for the Masters !

user282395
Reply : Sun 3rd Mar 2013 14:23

He'll be back. He's a fantastic golfer, and like all of us at one time or another he's just not quite there. I don't think he should have switched - to be honest mainly because I like the Oakley clothes! - but once his head is back in the game he'll be playing like the world No. 1 he is.

Don't forget these blokes (and girls) are only human, no-one can be expected to be on top of everything all the time. Not to mention that he's in the most up-and-down years of his life in all respects. I like the man and I like the player - he'll be back with a vengeance before long.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top