Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Top 100

Posted by: user89876 | Mon 18th Feb 2013 21:52 | Last Reply

After checking out a list of top 100 in Britain I was appalled by how few I,ve played, I know there will be many on here who have played 5 or 6 times as many as I and its something that over the next few years I aim to put right, all I have done so far are Royal Liverpool, st Andrews old course, Gleneagles kings course, Formby, Gullane 1,Belfry (brabazon) and celtic manor 2010, something needs to be done about this very poor showing. How many have you all played?

re: Top 100
user43166
Reply : Tue 19th Feb 2013 13:26

Where's the list Alan. Is Reigate Hill on there? :-)

user21179
Reply : Tue 19th Feb 2013 16:20

Hi Alan It's a great website and they tweet loads aswell if you are on twitter. I have played 14 of the top 100 in GB, and obviously enjoyed every one. Royal St Georges, St Georges Hill, Saunton east, St Enodoc, Berkshire red, Berkshire blue, Hankley Common, Woburn dukes, Woburn duchess, West Hill, Woking, Worplesdon, Chart Hills and The Addington. Which I am luckily playing again tomorrow. As you can tell the vast majority are fairly close together, when you add in Wentworth and Sunningdale the Surrey / Berkshire sand belt is a fantastic area for courses (if you have the money that is.) I have to say that price does come into it for me, I just can't justify the �350 that Sunningdale want for a days golf in the summer regardless of how amazing the layout. The links courses I have played have been rated higher, but although undoubtedly harder I am not convinced of their domination of the top 20.

user89876
Reply : Tue 19th Feb 2013 17:27

paul, i used this one
http://www.top100golfcourses.co.uk/htmlsite/uk.asp

user282395
Reply : Thu 21st Feb 2013 18:13

Well I've only played one of them, Chart Hills! Mainly as I can't justify spending much more than my membership fees on more golf!

That said, with Remedy Oak, Broadstone, Parkstone, Ferndown and the Isle of Purbeck all within 20 minutes of me, maybe I'll make an effort to play at least one of them this year.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 21st Feb 2013 18:50

The Top 100 site is great. Golf Monthly also did a Facebook plugin to allow you to add up courses you had played from their top 100.

user43166
Reply : Thu 21st Feb 2013 19:52

Thanks Alan.

To my surprise I have actually played one - East Sussex National. Visited St Georges for the open but they wouldn't let me play.

Drilling down into county rankings there are some surprising chart placings.

Chris - like you, finances prevent me from making any inroads into notching up more top 100's.

user52922
Reply : Fri 22nd Feb 2013 08:52

It is sad to think that before the introduction of all these new USGA spec. championship course that have been built in the last thirty odd years, playing any of the top 100 and those who did not make the list but were equally as good, was within the reach of the average club member.

user451055
Reply : Mon 25th Feb 2013 08:47

If anyone wants to play Moortown then it is in cracking condition at the moment and I am pretty sure that the green fees are half what you would pay in the summer.

user338942
Reply : Mon 25th Feb 2013 20:30

I've played none on that list.... how disappointing.

user89876
Reply : Tue 5th Mar 2013 20:07

I aim to play at least 2. A year, i,ll never finish them but i,ll put a dent in the list

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top