Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Winter mats used all over the course.

Posted by: user375014 | Sun 17th Feb 2013 22:06 | Last Reply

Has anyone else come across this when playing a course that may have had rain over the last few weeks, where they make you take a small strip of synthetic grass around to play off, not only for drives or tee shots but for all shots! except putting of course?

re: Winter mats used all over the course.
user80078
Reply : Sun 17th Feb 2013 22:59

I hope they don't have the nerve to charge you to do that...

user504404
Reply : Mon 18th Feb 2013 08:55

The courses my way have been struggling a lot over the past few months due to excessive rainfall but.......

at worst it is temp tee mats & temp greens, I have never had to carry a piece of mat around with me that's a new one!!! IMO the course should not be open if this is the case.

As Michael says I hope the green fee was hugely reduced or free!!

user24437
Reply : Mon 18th Feb 2013 09:54

There are a couple of courses here in the Midlands that regularly do this, one because as soon as the water table rises the groundwater is only about 3 inches below the fairways. To be fair the course is very flat and on the flood plain so they actually do well to keep the course open as long as they do. The other regularly does this from November to February to 'protect the fairways', ironically it is one of the more expensive and exclusive courses around here. They do allow you to play off tees from the fairway though, which backfired slightly when I creamed a 200 yard drive downhill for my second, only to see it plug about 2 inches deep in the middle of the green...

user80078
Reply : Mon 18th Feb 2013 12:54

Further to my initial post, I remember 30 years ago playing golf on Ascension Island on my way down to the Falklands. After a round there my clubs were shot as every stroke was like playing off carborundum. Oh how I wish I'd had a piece of synthetic grass to take round with me! Happy Days though!

user127691
Reply : Mon 18th Feb 2013 13:11

See it plenty, I used to be a member of a course that did it and it was not an issue. The matts were fine as long as held down properly, and it just meant come spring the course was immaculate with no hamster graves to be seen.

As far as I'm aware you have to use them in run off areas on the old course during the winter, good idea to me to protect a the course for the summer.

user127691
Reply : Mon 18th Feb 2013 13:17

See it plenty, I used to be a member of a course that did it and it was not an issue. The matts were fine as long as held down properly, and it just meant come spring the course was immaculate with no hamster graves to be seen.

As far as I'm aware you have to use them in run off areas on the old course during the winter, good idea to me to protect a the course for the summer.

user282395
Reply : Mon 18th Feb 2013 18:21

One local course does it just for a couple of wet fairways, but only within clearly marked areas - think it's a good idea to protect vulnerable areas of the course if the rest of it's fit to play. Agree that if they're needed everywhere then the course should just be closed though...

user508439
Reply : Mon 18th Feb 2013 21:05

The course im a member at has this ruling from about october through till march/april and its not a massive issue. just the odd yardage inconsistency

user508439
Reply : Mon 18th Feb 2013 21:11

Which course is the more "exclusive" one youre talking about?

user356537
Reply : Tue 19th Feb 2013 13:51

At our club fairway mats were compulsory for many years but they have become optional over the last few seasons.

The reason for us using them is not really related to the rainfall - just the fact that divots don't recover over the winter months as it is too cold for the grass to grow.

I'm not a fan and never use one but I have to admit that when they were compulsory the fairways were in very good condition come the start of the season.

user286670
Reply : Tue 19th Feb 2013 21:53

I could have the answer check out ebay item 251231532917 this guy has sold loads of these and they are great and dicrete too.. saves your clubs getting hammered and keeps your score down when the course it wet and boggy in places.

user286670
Reply : Tue 19th Feb 2013 21:53

I could have the answer check out ebay item 251231532917 this guy has sold loads of these and they are great and dicrete too.. saves your clubs getting hammered and keeps your score down when the course it wet and boggy in places.

user375014
Reply : Tue 19th Feb 2013 22:08

some great replies and to answer a few questions, the course charged them the exact same amount and more annoyingly didnt tell anybody when the course was booked as i reckon 50% of the players would not have played the course. Sam mentions not a massive issue, i'd have a massive issue with this, as golf is to be played off grass! i dont know of any other sport where you would need to take your own surface with you, apart from indoor and crown bowling! And yeah i agree if its that bad then close the course, or at least make it clear when booking tee times etc esp for a large society

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top