Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Is it just me?

Posted by: user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Sat 16th Feb 2013 13:27 | Last Reply

Over the years I have played on many different courses and now know my way to many.

Problem is when they close roads. It seems they can't give correct locations to these closures and you can end up arriving later than you should and this can cause your game to suffer.

The Police already do a strange thing when asking for witness's to an incident. They don't give the actual location, but say in an area.

Today it is reported that Stanningley By-Pass is closed from 'The Pudsey Roundabout' to 'Leeds City Centre', a distance of nearly 4miles. When in actual fact it is closed between an 'off slip road' and an 'on slip road' for the same junction, allowing access to a large Asda and M&S, which the posted closure wouldn't allow.

Has anyone got any interesting tails about road closures?

I'll start.

Some years ago, when CB Radio was an 'In item' I was playing at Ganton GC and travelling from Leeds. The A64 was closed by an accident on the Stensall cross roads so I took a known detour past York GC. A CB users asked for directions around the trouble and when I found where he was (half a mile behind me) I told him to follow me, directing him over the Radio. After half an hour and a journey down narrow country lanes, round tight bends I arrived back on the A64. It was then that the guy told me he was having trouble getting through the route as he was driving a 16wheel Artic, Whoops!

re: Is it just me?
user320021
Reply : Sat 16th Feb 2013 23:05

David,

You'll find that virtually all of the time the diversions are set up, but the RAC are the ones notified about where a closure is and they then pass on the the radio stations etc about what is closed! I know where the errors come from and due to the number of closures I've done I have many stories about them, most start with a driver asking "Is the road closed?" when the nose of their car is against a Road Closed sign. At one recently where the driver had driven past the collision on one side of the dual carriageway, they came round and asked the above question, she was informed (not by me) "A UFO has just landed you'll have to clear the area".

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top