Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Set of new clubs

Posted by: user375014 | Wed 13th Feb 2013 15:27 | Last Reply

hi all my brother who plays off around 21 is buying some new clubs and wondered if anyone had any ideas where to start and is club fitting at the likes of American Golf worthwhile?

Ive recommended a set of Callaways but do any of you have any advice? he has about �400 to spend

Regards nick

re: Set of new clubs
user43763
Reply : Wed 13th Feb 2013 16:28

Is he going for just irons or a full set?

Im a huge fan of Pings and with the custom fitting and forgiveness they provide, they are hard to beat, for �400 he could get sw-5 inc gap wedge

Im sure your going to hear this alot on this thread but tell him to try them all, seriously, its his cash hes entitled to go through every set in the shop if hes going to part with that much of his hard earned. whittle it down to maybe a top 3 then try those 3 again untill one set feels really nice.

user375014
Reply : Wed 13th Feb 2013 16:40

hi alun, thanks for the advice, to be honest he has been using some clubs given to him so i suggested to him to go and trial a few sets and get an idea of the feel with steel shafts etc as had been using carbon fibre i think. He will prob get a set of irons and then a new driver as ive got him addicted to golf and is now ready to start replacing the gifted clubs and bag with something thats going to help him and feel and work good for him.

I will suggest that he tries out the new Callaway irons as they do a great set with larger heads for extra length and forgiveness. Cleveland and Nikes are the others i said to look at n try first and witha new driver just to go and find a decent driving range and trial as many drivers as possible as i did and i knew after 10 shots which was the one for me.

Golf bags he will just want it to do what it should and hold everything but i think more importantly will be looks for his choice! i have the new ish nike bag and as far as loks goes its tops, im thinking he will go for something similar.

cheers for replying

user504404
Reply : Thu 14th Feb 2013 08:23

Another point to bear in mind is don't necessarily go for the top brands.

Have a look at less well known manufacturers like MDGolf - you will pay a lot less due to the fact they don't have huge sponsor deals. I have a set of MD Superstrong ST2 Irons and they are so forgiving, they set me back under �200.

Also I agree with Mike as regarding second hand gear, my Driver and Lob Wedge are both 2nd hand

Try out a few different Drivers/Irons, you will know within 5 balls if you like them or not.

user43763
Reply : Thu 14th Feb 2013 12:57

I would say though that with second hand gear it isnt custom fit and theres a good article on this site about custom fitting and with a newish swing you need all the help you can get.

Using ping i had to be custom fit to purchase and i would highly recommend it.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 14th Feb 2013 14:14

I'm sorting out searching for stuff! but here's the custom fit article

http://www.golfshake.com/improve/view/4258/Custom_Fit_Why_Bother.html

user375014
Reply : Sun 17th Feb 2013 22:00

Hi allT

Thanks for all the advice, he went into American golf and tried out a few different iron sets but opted for the new Taylor Made RocketBallz and the bag he went fo the Callaway X series bag, plus the motocaddy push trolley too! Not often you buy these things i suppose but paid a nice sum for all i can tell you. He's used them today for first time but although getting on instantly well, he has had to play the whole round off a mat? This was due to the course being under some construction and repair, but all shots even from bunkers had to be played off this strip of mat you carried round with you. Never seen that before? Anyway thanks again for the advise.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top