Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Flat left wrist?

Posted by: user43763 | Mon 11th Feb 2013 13:05 | Last Reply

Hi guys, ive been looking for a while as to why im getting a dirty fade on my driver. Its not a slice because its usually still very playable but theres always left to right movement in the ball.

During my research ive found people mentioning a flat left wrist. How important is this and would it help get the fade/slice out of my swing. i do think i cup the wrist at the top and was thinking of getting one of those gloves with the plastic bit to stop the cupping but they are �20 and if its junk i wont bother.

Any thoughts are appreciated

re: Flat left wrist?
user504404
Reply : Mon 11th Feb 2013 13:24

I like yourself Alun have always faded my driver.

This in the main is due to my swing being out to in. I have put in a lot of time in trying to stay connected and trying to get the swing nearer in to out. This has resulted in a greatly reduced fade.

You could also try getting a club with moveable weights and set them towards the heel to help with the fade tendency.

Bottom line is having the correct process IMO

user504404
Reply : Mon 11th Feb 2013 13:38

Another point to mention is what deg loft your driver is? The less loft the more likely you are to fade.

I now use 10.5Deg (used to be 9Deg) and I would not go any lower again.

user43763
Reply : Mon 11th Feb 2013 13:53

12 degree lol

user504404
Reply : Mon 11th Feb 2013 14:30

12Deg is good for you if you are a natural fader.

I am guessing your swing is out to in. If it is then trying to reduce the out to in path should help. At least it will save you buying training aids and then finding out they don't work for you.

user80078
Reply : Mon 11th Feb 2013 16:18

Hi Alun. Like a lot of players I had too much fade with the driver (slice) as I also tended to hit out to in. I found that by closing my stance slightly (by pulling my right foot back from the target line) it encouraged me to come inside the ball rather than from outside. I know people may argue that it is just a fix not a solution, but boy has it worked well for me. I now hit more confidently and am straight or move it slightly right to left. Just a thought for you!

user52922
Reply : Mon 11th Feb 2013 19:00

It is not a fix, Michael, it is the correct set up to enable a draw.

user334577
Reply : Mon 11th Feb 2013 22:35

Until recently, I was also suffering from a power slice - the harder I tried, the more I sliced ! Closing of the stance has worked to some extent for me, but the biggest improvement has come from strengthening my grip, which has helped me to square the club face and as noted above rotate the hands at impact. It helps if you can see a video of your swing to check if it is the club path or the face angle which is causing the fade/slice.

user43763
Reply : Mon 11th Feb 2013 23:13

I think i didnt explain myself very clearly although this has not gone down the path i had imagined its still very interesting to hear what people do to alleviate their driving issues. I have no issue driving the ball as i said, its always playable, in fact, i enjoy driving the ball even with a little fade. my question was about the importance of a flat left wrist at the top of the swing and what effects cupping has and whether anyone can shed any experience on if it even matters. Very interesting thread all the same lol

user52922
Reply : Tue 12th Feb 2013 10:05

Alun, a flat left wrist is a relatively new innovation of the modern game, but being an oldie myself, I have always played with a cupped wrist at the top of the swing. the flat wrist will bring you to an closed club face at the top of the swing and a cupped wrist will open the face at the top. Cupping means you are breaking the wrists which enables one to uncock the wrists at impact.

user69191
Reply : Tue 12th Feb 2013 10:09

Hi Alun

It all depends on your grip. If you have a neutral grip then a slight cupping of the wrist will probably help you square the club face at impact. If you try too hard to keep a flat wrist at the top of the backswing then there is a tendency to overdo it and bow it. This will result in the clubface coming through very closed and low resulting in a low hooked shot. Check out Sergio Garcia and Dustin Johnson's swings at the top. If your cupping of the wrists is a bit extreme at the top this will lead to the opposite, clubface open at the top, and therefore at impact. Check how you're gripping the club. I cup my wrist slightly at the top.

Paul

Last edit : Tue 12th Feb 2013 10:10
user43763
Reply : Tue 12th Feb 2013 12:59

Taking on board what everyone has said, im going to hit the range tonight and see how it goes, ive read that putting a credit card in the top of your glove can aid in a more flat wrist so going to see if i can get the ball going more left than right. Failing that ill just go back to my old technique lol

user80078
Reply : Tue 12th Feb 2013 13:31

I believe you mean more right to left Alun. Your initial post said you were slicing. Good luck with the practice!

user43763
Reply : Tue 12th Feb 2013 13:37

Sorry, i meant in relation to my target line

user80078
Reply : Tue 12th Feb 2013 13:52

Sorry Alun. My mistake. I read your post as 'getting the ball going more left to right' rather than what you actually put ' getting the ball going more left than right'. I am getting tooo !!! old. Cheers....

user43763
Reply : Tue 12th Feb 2013 19:35

ok well hit the range and didnt go as planned, the nets were broken so was unable to try out the driver but filmed a couple of swings with a 7 iron and to my surprise i do actually have a flat wrist at the top so need to focus more on keeping it to impact and will have to try the driver out another day. never really fade/slice my irons.

user375014
Reply : Tue 12th Feb 2013 22:28

Hi Alun, Ive been graduallly getting the same fade off my driver recently having bought a better driver and trying to drive further. I too saw the tip on not cupping the left wrist and have done what it suggested today and kept that wrist straight at the top of the backswing and found this has helped so much. I think its more of a realisation of maybe one small thing i am doing wrong and being able to concentrate on just that one point. I hit 50 balls 30 with driver and after initial hooks and tops i started hitting straight drives again. now its just remembering to think about it on each drive.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top