Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

What should happen to Vijay Singh?

Posted by: user354092 | Thu 31st Jan 2013 22:44 | Last Reply

Following the revelation that Vijay Singh has admitted to using a banned substance. What do you think the PGA Tour should do?

He has denied knowledge, should they make an example of him? Would that be harsh?

http://www.golfshake.com/news/view/5202/Vijay_Singh_issues_statement_on_Deer_Antler_Spray.html

re: What should happen to Vijay Singh?
user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 1st Feb 2013 14:37

nice to see this can be used to drive business image via twitter

https://twitter.com/martinheggie/status/297258069820309504/photo/1

user475124
Reply : Sun 3rd Feb 2013 15:47

There is no room in any sport for the use of performance enhancing drugs. Golf is one of the last bastions of civilised gentlemanly conduct and anything which may be considered to bring the game into disripute should be immediately dealt with. It is dubious as to whether these banned substances have made a great deal of difference in performance, however nonetheless young aspiring players look up to these professionals and often wish to emulate them,it is as much for this reason that I believe if found guilty he should receive a lifetime ban from competition as I would expect any other athlete to receive no less,should they be found wanting.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 3rd Feb 2013 19:26

Lifetime ban ?

Agreed there should be some punishment but not lifetime ban. I guess though if the drug cheating causes an effect that will have a lifetime benefit then I fully agree. Would this growth hormone have a long lasting effect ?

user52922
Reply : Sun 3rd Feb 2013 22:54

There is a not a substance made that will improve a players skills. The usual witch hunt. If I were a Pro then I would be banned as I have to take a diuretic that has caused Tour de France cyclists to be banned yet all it does is make one go to wee constantly. Not much use on a bike is it?

user469358
Reply : Mon 4th Feb 2013 00:41

Its hardly on the scale of lance Armstrong is it. I think that a short ticking off and at most a token 2 week ban from the tour should suffice.

I suppose as a matter of conscience I should return to Ladbrokes the money I won from his US Masters win. Doh!

user52922
Reply : Mon 4th Feb 2013 11:39

Sounds about right, Jim.

user451055
Reply : Mon 4th Feb 2013 12:49

Hey - That photo is from Moortown GC - it seems like a permanent display in the Pro shop as it was still there yesterday.

user425195
Reply : Mon 4th Feb 2013 16:36

John, I couldn't disagree more, golf is a competitive sport, and a substance that increases strength, endurance and reduces recovery time will afford an unfair advantage to the player who takes it - i.e. cheating. Vijay Singh has been playing some remarkable golf recently, particularly given his age, also he would have known exactly what he was taking when he consumed 'dear antler spray' It would not be an over reaction to apply a lengthy ban.

You've only got to look at cycling to see the inevitable outcome if the ruling body ignores the problem for expediency.

There is a clear difference between a club or recreational golfer who requires medication and a professional who can potentially deprive a fellow pro of prize money.

user106712
Reply : Tue 5th Feb 2013 10:17

It's not the first time vijay has been caught cheating. when he was a young pro in 1985 he was caught altering his scorecard to make the cut in Jakarta and recieved a ban. Once a cheat always a cheat in my opinion.

user26342
Reply : Tue 5th Feb 2013 12:39

I think the fact that he has been named & shamed will be part of the punishment. If ever he wins again it will be overshadowed by people claiming he only won becauase he cheated.

user80078
Reply : Tue 5th Feb 2013 12:42

I think Tony W has got it spot on. Nothing more to add!

user469358
Reply : Tue 5th Feb 2013 23:34

Yeah right, lets hang him out to dry and leave him with absolutely nothing and no further prospects in the thing he has dedicated his life too. Even murderers are usually free to resume their career after about 15 years. He says he wasn't aware he was taking a banned substance and I for one believe him.

user106712
Reply : Wed 6th Feb 2013 13:09

He's been caught cheating twice which means he probably got away with it 100 times. he has enough money to last him the rest of his life and if I were a pro golfer I wouldn't want to play with him.

user469358
Reply : Wed 6th Feb 2013 17:06

He has not failed a urine test, in fact this substance only shows up in blood tests and golfers are not subject to blood tests. The only reason he is in trouble is that he mentioned it to a journalist when discussing his fitness regime. Common sense would dictate that if he was aware that he was taking a banned substance and if he had deliberatly set out to cheat he would surely have kept his trap shut.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 6th Feb 2013 19:36

Some interesting points above. I'm generally a fence sitter and probably so on this one as well!

Unless it can be proven that the banned substance use is a life long change providing an advantage over his competitors then I see no reason why he should have a lifetime ban.

However like others have commented it certainly warrants more than a slap on the wrist or 2 week ban. We need to ensure we send a clear message to all sports people out there particularly the stars of the future that there is only room for competing clean in modern society.

user354092
Reply : Thu 7th Feb 2013 13:47

Singh met with PGA Tour chief Tim Fincham yesterday, no statements yet from either the PGA Tour or Singh. Meeting was both good and bad for Singh according to reports. Read into that what you will. My bet is on a 6 month - 1 year ban.

He is still listed in the field for the Pebble Beach field and looks likely to start.

That would pretty much finish Singh on the PGA Tour and we would next see him on the Champions Tour. You would have to fancy his chances on there, but mabe not the crowd reaction..

user52922
Reply : Thu 7th Feb 2013 17:59

I am quite sure that the average amateur player on medication would fail a drug test, I know I would, on the diuretic alone. There is no substance that could make any positive impact on ones skill level.

user410273
Reply : Thu 7th Feb 2013 19:03

If he knew it was a banned substance, then he's knowingly cheated. He has form for cheating. He also made some very sexist comments about Anika Sorenstam. He was run out of Austrailia for borrowing money and refusing to pay it back. He made comments about the Augusta members, saying "they can all kiss my..." Not a very nice man.

Would you want him playing in competitions at your club? Too much history for me...

user16106
Reply : Fri 8th Feb 2013 12:37

I thought this was all storm in a teacup until I listened to Mark Roe on sky last night. The PGA informed every pro about this specific "drug" 2 years ago and that it was banned. It is called Deer antler spay, not a very technical word or chemical formula that could be misconstued. An invoice for $9000 for the product was found with his name on it. He has been using it every day for 2 years. A year ban is the min punishment according to the PGA rules. It doesnt sound like an error. Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user77012
Reply : Fri 8th Feb 2013 18:05

I really don't know what all the fuss is about with sportsmen taking drugs , Take Lance Armstrong for instance, the last time I took drugs I couldn't even find my bike!

user64715
Reply : Sat 9th Feb 2013 07:29

Bet you could find your pint though, eh Dave.

user77012
Reply : Sat 9th Feb 2013 09:52

For sure Jonathen for sure, if he is quilty or anyone else, especially in golf I suggest hung ,drawn and quartered . Too lenient? #hatecheats

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 9th Feb 2013 12:15

I think we have to look at this two ways. One way is that it is an issue with Vijay and two, the Deer Antler Spray itself.

There have been issues with products that are available over the counter and trade under the same name worldwide but the actual make up of the substance differs country to country. One painkiller is OK if bought in Europe but not if bought in America. Reason. In the US it has an extra illegal element added.

user469358
Reply : Sat 9th Feb 2013 22:03

Here's some for sale -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Deer-Antler-Velvet-Spray-IGF-1-Bodybuilders-Athletes-Muscles-Recover-Fast-/280884500167?pt=UK_
Health_Beauty_Vitamins_Supplements&hash=item41660556c7

Sounds great stuff, a bit pricey at 25 quid though

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top