Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Slooooowww Play on the PGA TOUR

Posted by: user354092 | Wed 30th Jan 2013 11:22 | Last Reply

Just wondering how many of you got super frustrated by the slow play on the PGA Tour at the weekend. Woods got pretty annoyed and I for one was getting board at watching the TV coverage of him standing with his hands in his pocket.

What are the PGA TOur going to do about it? What would you do? Surely docking shots is the way forward?

re: Slooooowww Play on the PGA TOUR
user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 30th Jan 2013 14:37

Slow Play in my mind is different to Pace of Play.

The European Tour have Rules in place, so do the PGA Tour I think. Just implement them. I would penalise Slow Play all day long.

user106712
Reply : Wed 30th Jan 2013 16:00

quote "What are the PGA TOur going to do about it? What would you do? Surely docking shots is the way forward? "

I don't think docking shots would help, maybe adding shots on would be more effective. give them 1 minute from arriving at the ball to play the shot obviously they would have to wait for their turn or for players in front to clear.

Last edit : Wed 30th Jan 2013 16:04
Reply : Wed 30th Jan 2013 20:11

The PGA Tour 'Pace of Play' ruling is long winded and can be confusing but in simple terms it is.

Lose a clear hole on the group in front and the Officials can put that group or an individual 'on the clock'.

Then you have 60secs to play your shot if you are 1st to play in that area. (Tee, F\W or green)

If you are not '1st up', you have 40secs.

Penalties are:- 1. Warning, 2. 1shot + $5000, 3. 2shots + $10000 and a 4th "bad time" is a DQ.

The rule is there.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 30th Jan 2013 22:39

They should have to press a button on the tee and if they don't remove their ball from the hole within the allotted time (eg 10 mins for a par 3, 15 mins for a par 4, 20 mins for a par 5) they get 1,000 volts as they put their hand into the cup to get their ball out. That'll incentivise them!

user369251
Reply : Fri 1st Feb 2013 13:29

If I remember rightly, didn't it take 6 hours over the 2 days to complete the round? That is quite frankly outrageous. Especially for a 3 ball. Personally, I'd penalise shots and prize money. The other pro's need to name and shame. Sky's coverage is bad enough with all the ad breaks, but half the time watching was just gents stood on fairways or tee boxes, utterly bored. For a pro circuit, it's unforgivable in my opinion. Rant over! Thanks

user26342
Reply : Fri 1st Feb 2013 14:28

Who & which referee will be brave enough to endorse these rules for slow play?

Ross Fisher got a 1 shot penalty last year on the European Tour & took him out the running for a win, why should it be any different for the PGA

The yanks are very big on stats etc, would be nice to see a 'pace of play' stat so it would be there for all to see who are the culprits?

Reply : Fri 1st Feb 2013 16:55

The problem is that a group has to fall a clear hole behind before anything starts to happen. If the first groups out take an age then everyone else will too.

Its simple maths, 40sec per shot, 3 balls and all shoot 70. That is 4hrs 20min without walking between shots etc.

These guys are playing for their living so we have to give them a little slack.

user106712
Reply : Fri 1st Feb 2013 17:49

isn't that 2hrs 20min plus walking David? "simple maths"

Last edit : Fri 1st Feb 2013 17:54
Reply : Fri 1st Feb 2013 18:53

Yes Adrian it is. Must get a new calculator. 40 x 3 x 70 \ 60 \ 60 = 2.3333333.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top