Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

How best to use lessons

Posted by: user28838 | Thu 24th Jan 2013 19:49 | Last Reply

I received a Xmas present of a voucher for 6 lessons to be used in 2013. Any advice on how I should use these? i.e. should I just go along and take it as it comes, concentrate on the basics (set-up, grip etc) or focus on specific areas of my game? I have no absolutely glaring areas of weakness but, of course, there is room for improvement in all areas.

One thing which did cross my mind is having a putting lesson or two. How did these go for other Golfshakers?

re: How best to use lessons
user459944
Reply : Fri 25th Jan 2013 00:16

Tony, speaking from experience on lessons, i did it working on the poorer aspect of my game, which was pretty much all round, so went for the basic's, grip, swing, putting , etc... but bear in mind i had only been playing for 6 mths, i think with your handicap there must be certain aspects of your game that you know your falling short on, be it short drives or poor putting etc, think the first initial lesson may be a good option to go over grip, stance etc, it amazing how much of the basics we forget and look more into the technical aspect of the game and forget the rest, hope this helps. Tim

user469358
Reply : Fri 25th Jan 2013 02:01

My thinking would be to let the expert have a look and let him tell you how you can improve.

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 25th Jan 2013 11:55

Tony, As you show a Hcp of 11 I would let the Pro make the decision. Have the first one and then decide between the two of you where to go.

user504404
Reply : Sat 26th Jan 2013 21:51

Hope this might help you to make a decision Tony

I had played golf for 25yrs - trying to play to my handicap of 17, but usually struggled to hit it and was really playing to between 20 and 24 in the main.

So in July last year I decided to have an assessment, and ended up booking a course of 10 lessons.

My coach asked what I wanted to do - either take it from scratch or tweak things.

I went for the take it from scratch option - so he started me from grip upwards.

The first 2 months were hard, practicing 3 times a week - 1 step forward, 2 steps back at times but I persevered - then things started to click my game started to catch up on the process.

Now after 6 lessons - I can safely say my ball striking is in a different universe to what is was before.

My handicap is now around the 14 mark and I am actually playing to it.

IMO lessons have improved my game so much - but I emphasize the fact its hard work to begin with and you have to believe in your coach and practice hard even when its going totally wrong!!

GL with what you decide to embark on.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top