Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Ping g15s,or clevelandcg16,s?

Posted by: user499646 | Mon 21st Jan 2013 21:43 | Last Reply

I am in for a tax rebate on the weekend,and am looking to upgrade my irons from my current md superstrongs to maybe ping g15 or Cleveland cg16's.ive been playing for about 18 months and am off a23 handicap.i have quite a high swing speed,and hit the ball quite a long way,but need more accuracy with my iron play.also looking for a reasonably priced 3 wood.any recommendations?

re: Ping g15s,or clevelandcg16,s?
user477305
Reply : Mon 21st Jan 2013 21:49

I personally will be sticking with my MD irons for a few more years yet! Mine are forged and they are certainly not holding me back. As for the 3 wood you can get the old TM burner on onlinegolf for about �60 and it really is a great club, well worth the price

user499646
Reply : Mon 21st Jan 2013 21:58

Cheers,mds have served me well,but getting quite worn now,need regripping,and don't think they were correctly fitted for me,as a course pro just asked me how tall I was without measuring wrist to floor,watching swing etc...all he did was added1/2 Inch to the shafts according to my height!great clubs for the money though,without a doubt.

user24437
Reply : Mon 21st Jan 2013 23:05

Stick with the MD's, bang on some sticky grips (easy to do yourself for �40 for decent ones) and get them checked out for loft and lie. It may need tweaking. Then lash out on a second hand MD suoerstrong 3 wood (I've got a couple spare) and get a really good shaft (mine have Aldila DVS60R's), shouldn't cost more than �70 the lot for a cracking club. Or you could go and spend it on a big name club with a inferior 'big name' shaft for twice as much.

user43763
Reply : Tue 22nd Jan 2013 18:06

ill say it before someone else does. Go to a well stocked shop/pro and try out loads. I personally have the g15s and you can get a cracking deal on them now. being pings, the custom fitting was very thorough and a pleasurable experience.
the off centre hits are very forgiving. i know american golf were doing a free rescue wood with the irons not so long ago, maybe pop to your local one and try and haggle.

user499646
Reply : Tue 22nd Jan 2013 19:58

Thanks for the comments,was actually thinking of American golf,as there's one close by.do they measure swing speed etc? Was thinking I might need stiff flex,as I've got quite a high swing speed.any comments appreciated.

user43763
Reply : Tue 22nd Jan 2013 23:45

yes they will put you on the trackman if your buying a driver. In there though just remember whos paying because i find AG to be quite pushy but take your time and ask to try as many as possible and dont be insulted if they tell you you arent stiff. i play with a 12 degree driver and i specifically went in for a 10.5, ive never hit the ball so well

user249902
Reply : Wed 23rd Jan 2013 16:31

Ray, I don't know where you are based but if your near Birmingham give Four Ashes Golf Centre a call. You can get a loft and lie check for very little money. They would also regrip your clubs for you.

user499646
Reply : Thu 24th Jan 2013 19:26

Thanks very much for everyone's comments,still pretty new to the game if I'm honest,so all help is much appreciated.

user499646
Reply : Thu 24th Jan 2013 19:28

Gonna keep the md's just in case!!!!!

user504404
Reply : Sat 26th Jan 2013 22:06

Ray

I bought some MD Superstrong ST2's 5-SW in December. God they are soo much more forgiving than my old Wilson set. Also I got them half price as my mate was getting rid of all last years stock. They are a bargain even at full price IMO and I certainly will not be changing them for some time!

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top