Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Mcilroy & nike

Posted by: user466742 | Fri 18th Jan 2013 09:53 | Last Reply

So according to a few photographers & a picture licensed by Getty images, Mcilroy after one competitive round is back using his Scotty Cameron putter... Thoughts?

re: Mcilroy & nike
user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 18th Jan 2013 10:24

Tp 90% of good players (Pro's and Am's) The Putter is a special thing. Two clubs of the same make\design and one will feel better than the other. You can have a club cloned, but it will not feel the same. Workmen will also tell you the same thing but with less effect. Years ago many Pro's taped their driver and putter together (some even took them as hand liggage) because they were the main clubs. I wouldn't be suprised if Rory also has a different driver standing by.

user466742
Reply : Fri 18th Jan 2013 10:36

yeah i completely agree. I was suprised he actually changed his putter for a Nike one in the first place. With the driver comment, it would be interesting to see what he changes to, if he makes it through to tomorrow that is.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 18th Jan 2013 11:37

Here is the image, (linked from a public source)

http://twitpic.com/bw6ell

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 18th Jan 2013 12:19

Here is a fact about my Bag. Would be interesting to hear others.

Driver 10yrs in there.

3wood 12yrs in there.

Wedges 10yrs in there.

Putter 30yrs in there.

Irons (3-w) 2yrs in there.

user338942
Reply : Fri 18th Jan 2013 20:52

Driver 3y Woods 9y Hybrid 8y Irons 5y Wedges 4y Putter 9y

A lot of people who get all new gear every year/every other year in my opinion get a bit swept along with the marketing hype around clubs. I think most gains in distance are coming from golf balls and on the pro circuits players getting stronger, so if a club suits why change.

Drivers had the COR restricted in 2006 (if memory serves correctly) Irons, yes you can have a bigger sweet spot, but you'll always have a very similar face that the ball is coming off. Therefore if the ball feels nice on connection, why not go 10-15 years with the gear. No need to keep up with the Jones's if your comfortable in your game.

user16106
Reply : Sat 19th Jan 2013 10:52

Sir Nick was on sky last night commenting on the fact that Rory has swapped brands at the peak of his form. He was bemused to say the least. He compared it with a time he went to Adams golf. He said "I had the new clubs and couldnt hit the ball out of my shadow". All very strange but �125,000,000 over 5 years may have something to do with it. Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user498809
Reply : Sat 19th Jan 2013 14:51

Saw an interview with Mcilroy last night after he missed the cut. Totally relaxed and unfazed. Says that its just the weight of the new Nike wasnt the same as the Cameron and he was misjudging his putts. Also he's just switched his clubs, come off the back of a month away from golf and all he needs is a bit of range time to get back in the groove! Who are we to doubt him!!

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 25th Jan 2013 13:32

Guys, I've moved the post about 'years in the bag' as it deserved it's own place

http://www.golfshake.com/forums/view/11834/Years_in_the_Bag.html

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top