Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Affordable Trackman ?

Posted by: user16106 | Tue 15th Jan 2013 20:01 | Last Reply

Ive been looking at swing path gizmos and was wondering if anyone has tried any of these. The 3 I have seen are Golfsense, Swing byte, and Swing smart. They tell you things like 3D swing path, club head speed, acceleration at impact and loads of other stuff. I personally want to improve club head speed and try to groove a repeatable plane so the Golfsense gizmo looks the choice for me and it is also the cheapest at less than �100. Price of 3 lessons or 2.5 sessions on trackman. Anyone got any views? Good or bad. A good investment or a load of old crap? Dave CAC handed Geordie.

re: Affordable Trackman ?
user43763
Reply : Wed 16th Jan 2013 11:39

reviews are mixed from what i read, it seems a good idea. the golfsense one is still a bit overpriced form me but looks the best out of the bunch. check this out http://www.mygolfspy.com/golfsense-swing-byte-smart-review/

Last edit : Wed 16th Jan 2013 11:55
user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 16th Jan 2013 11:53

Dave, where are you based ? I've a bunch on the way to test.

user16106
Reply : Wed 16th Jan 2013 12:24

Darren, Im based in Crawley, West Sussex. Alun. Read that report, Quite indepth. 1st time ive known about this type of product. Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user43166
Reply : Thu 17th Jan 2013 09:03

Very interesting review. I'm interested in your views if you get one Dave.

user16106
Reply : Mon 21st Jan 2013 16:08

After extensive deliberation I have decided to go for the golfsense version. At under �100 isnt going to break the bank. As I have said previously I want to improve club head speed and groove a good consistant plane. Also a feature that I didnt know about is swing tempo. This can be checked and adjusted with practice. After Ive had a play with it ill post a review. Cheers Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user16106
Reply : Tue 22nd Jan 2013 12:25

Paul, Yeah I saw that there were attachment issues, also it looks cumbersome and will affect swing weight. I also thought that the 3bays gizmo looked the best but at just on �200 a bit steep. I will keep you lot posted. Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user16106
Reply : Fri 25th Jan 2013 19:23

I got my gizmo a couple of days ago and havnt had the chance to use it on the range yet. I had a few ( literally ) swings in the garden avoiding the snow on the lawn and the washing line, just to see if it paired up with my phone and it said what it does on the tin. I had three fairly fast ( for me ) swings the three results were 76, 83, & 89 MPH which sounds about right to me. It also shows that i have a big lack of backswing angle of 174, 146 & 126 degree of backswing. 270 degree is perfect. I was a bit cautious swinging in the small enclosed garden. It also had estimated drive distances of 216, 200 and 184 yds all seem about right for me. Swing plane was pretty good. I will try a few wild helicopter type swings to see if this transposes to the computer. All in all after a very brief trial it seems pretty good and fairly simple to use. All I want to do is try to get my backswing as far back as possible, Increase my clubhead speed and get a good hip turn. This little gizmo will do all this and a few things more. May take it on the range tomorrow if we havnt had a foot of snow overnight. Anyone thinking of buying one and has a question, please ask.

Dave CAC handed Geordie.

Last edit : Fri 25th Jan 2013 19:25
user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 26th Jan 2013 17:00

I'm going to be testing out at a local Derbyshire range shortly. Will have the GolfSense, SwingByte, Swing Smart and the new SkyPro device.

To be honest they all seem very similar with the main difference being the software interface.

Anyone tried the Golf MTRx product ? you don't need any gadget with this and detects swing movement from your phone attached close to your hips. Cost is around �10 and the only reason I've not yet tested is that I'm not 100% confident about having an expensive phone wedged in my belt whilst I swing!

More info here:

http://www.zerolinegolf.com/mtrx/

Last edit : Sat 26th Jan 2013 17:01
user16106
Reply : Sat 26th Jan 2013 18:41

Look forward to hearing your views darren. Paul, I use the range at Tilgate Forest golf course. Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 31st Jan 2013 16:26

Will let you know once we've done some testing on a few different people.

Another one due to be launched here in the UK very soon -

http://www.golfshake.com/news/view/5189/SwingSmart_Golf_Analyser.html

Last edit : Thu 31st Jan 2013 16:27
user80078
Reply : Mon 11th Feb 2013 12:01

Good luck Dave. I hope you get the info and improvements you are looking for. At my age I still have a full backswing (so I'm told) and hit it 200+ with my TM Burner. I will read this thread with interest and look forward to your updates. Who knows, I might look into this technology myself oneday!

user16106
Reply : Mon 11th Feb 2013 21:02

Update. I took this gizmo to the course ( lindfield ) last week and it is totally inpracticle for use other than on the range, unless you have the course to yourself. Pairing the unit to your phone then changing your club selecton, checking it has taken your swing, phone in and out of pocket etc etc. This will be no problem on the range where its meant to be used. I will update again when I use it on the range. Over and out. Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 11th Feb 2013 21:49

Dave, there was a gadget marketed to do just that where you plugged the device into the top of the club and had a controller attached to your ball. Does sound like it would take a lot of time on the course!

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 19th Feb 2013 13:29

Any feedback yet Dave ? we've just got the SwingSmart to test so will post some results in the next day.

user43763
Reply : Tue 26th Feb 2013 15:34

Any news boys im holding off untill i get some opinions in

user16106
Reply : Tue 26th Feb 2013 21:16

I will try to get out during the next week to the range to test it out. I just havnt had the time over the last month or so. Get back to you lot ASAP. Any news on testing Darren? Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user43763
Reply : Wed 10th Apr 2013 13:25

Any news on this thread I was really hoping something would come of this as im interested in getting one but didn't want to take the plunge first.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top