Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

The Rules - how to remember

Posted by: user43763 | Sat 12th Jan 2013 13:43 | Last Reply

Ive been brushing up on my rules but get undone alot by not being able to remember whether the penalty is one stroke two strokes etc.

is there an easy way to remember them?

re: The Rules - how to remember
user40826
Reply : Sat 12th Jan 2013 15:33

Take a rule book with you. I always have mine in my bag and the quick guide is great.

user43763
Reply : Sat 12th Jan 2013 18:29

having not played in competitions before im wondering if im worrying over nothing?

are there many situations where i would need to know the more detailed rules, im assuming the people in my group would be more experienced than me and could advise me on the correct procedure, advice on rulings is acceptable during a round?

how often do you have to pull yours out chris?

user52922
Reply : Sat 12th Jan 2013 19:19

When I fist started playing and asked an old member about the rules, he said to me, John, you put the ball on a tee, hit it as many times as you like to get into the hole and then for the second time you handle it taking out of the hole. Do this and you will never get into trouble.

user43763
Reply : Sat 12th Jan 2013 22:31

lol i knew id get some words of wisdom from you john. I never thought of it like that

user40826
Reply : Sat 12th Jan 2013 23:20

Love that John, superb advice

Alun, only ever got the book out once when a member claimed he got a free drop because his ball hit a wall before going out bounds - claimed it was a man made object so he was entitled. He wouldn't have it though.

user473042
Reply : Sun 13th Jan 2013 21:06

R & A do a great app for the i phone

user451055
Reply : Mon 14th Jan 2013 11:32

Linden - they have one for android too - trouble is you aren't allowed to use them on the course in competition. I find the R&A handbook next to useless on the course as it is so difficult to find the relevant information in a reasonable timescale.

user43763
Reply : Mon 14th Jan 2013 12:55

I have the android app which is really good, but like Judy says, i didnt think i would be allowed to use it on the course

user473042
Reply : Mon 14th Jan 2013 16:12

see Rule 14-3 thats what i say (A mulit-functional device,such as a smartphone or PDA, may be used.........

user43166
Reply : Thu 17th Jan 2013 09:30

As I understand it Smartphones are not allowed because they can "measure" things like temperature, wind speed etc. However, what you usually get from a smartphone is a forecast and not a precise measurement in your locality. You are not allowed to use devices that give you this information even if you do not use it and even if you have turned the funcationality off - the mere fact that it can measure it makes it illegal.

It is about time this was brought up to date. I really can't see any real advantage gained even if you did know that the wind was generally 10 mph rather then 8 mph.

The rules app for Andriod (and I assume iPhone) is great. Very easy to find rules through the search and even includes rulings.

The benefits of being able to quickly clarify a rule surely outway the perceived unfair advantage of knowing which way the wind is blowing!! Throw some grass up in the air!

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 17th Jan 2013 14:03

The rules are almost ambiguous but actually quite clear, unless you can hack your smartphone and remove all functionality around internet access, compass etc then they are not allowed in competitions

I would recommend checking out Barry Rhodes ebook �999 Questions on the Rules of Golf�

there are a few articles on Golfshake from Barry here - http://www.golfshake.com/improve/golf-pro/barry-rhodes/

plus this specifically on the DMD debtate:

http://www.golfshake.com/improve/view/4121/Distance_Measuring_Devices_DMDs_The_Facts.html

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top