Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Handicap calculations

Posted by: user451055 | Thu 10th Jan 2013 13:32 | Last Reply

I have just returned from New Zealand and discovered that they have a very different way of calculating handicaps over there.

Handicaps are only calculated once a fortnight and they calculate your handicap using the best 10 results out of your latest 20 rounds.

On one hand, I think using all these rounds does give you a fairer handicap than the system over here but - only calculating it every fortnight means when you are hot you win everything in sight.

I found this out when I congratulated someone for winning 2 competitions on consecutive days with Stableford scored in the low forties. I thought that was really well done when the first one would have pulled her handicap - it was then she explained the ruling.

I guess as our way of calculating handicaps (congu rules I mean) is simpler it does allow us to change our handicaps after each round played as we can self calculate it - so our handicaps are more up to date.

The other difference over there is handicaps go up to 54 FIFTY FOUR!!!! It means that all competitions are very inclusive and they have lots of categories of prizes. This is necessary as you can imagine how easy it would be for a 54 handicapper to get very high Stableford scores! JP - you would hate it!

Anyway - I thought it was all very interesting. I wasn't allowed to transfer my UK handicap over there so had to submit cards to get a NZ handicap and guess what - it came out exactly as mine over here - at least it shows I am consistent if a bit rubbish!

Anyone know of other systems in other countries?

re: Handicap calculations
user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 10th Jan 2013 14:12

South Africa also ask you to submit every card social or competitive.

The European handicap system is also similar to this with a rolling average based on the USGA handicap system.

user486083
Reply : Thu 10th Jan 2013 20:29

Not sure i like their way and think a 54 handicap is to high for competion golf. Were the courses and the weather good?

user52922
Reply : Fri 11th Jan 2013 08:37

What a farce, this really does handicap the better player.

user451055
Reply : Fri 11th Jan 2013 10:32

I can't talk about the courses and weather over there after hearing about the weather here - it just wouldn't be fair

JP - Although the handicap system appears to make things tougher for the better player it doesn't really as you only play against people in your category - so you are never in competition with the 54 handicappers. They compete within their own category. This is the prize table for the Christmas competition. The first prizes are at the front of the table - you can see it is a huge ham! Anyway - each ham is for a different category. Apologies if the photo doesn't appear - not sure how to do it.

aarrgh - can't seem to get a photo in - anyone know how?

user16106
Reply : Fri 11th Jan 2013 21:53

Judy is this just women playing off 54 or men also? Are they as bad as I think they are. 54 hcap will have to shoot a 126 on a par 72 to play to handicap. This is pretty bad. I wouldnt like to follow them on an off day. Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user451055
Reply : Mon 14th Jan 2013 11:39

Hi Dave - I think 54 is for women and 45 for men. Either way though they still manage to get round the course quicker than over here. Men and women play together over there. They will have separate competitions for men and women or at least separate categories but men and women routinely play together. You just play with whoever is ready on the tee unless you already have your 4ball sorted. The pace is much quicker - they all walk very fast between shots and they have lots of common sense elements to keep the play flowing. Not least that the first 2 players to hole out will hit off the next tee whilst the final two finish.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top