Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Playing through the pain

Posted by: user354092 | Thu 10th Jan 2013 10:56 | Last Reply

Following yesterdays story that Annika Sorenstam chopped off the end of her finger >> http://www.golfshake.com/news/view/5077/Sorenstam_chops_off_finger_tip_tweets_picture.html

HAs anyone got any stories of playing through the pain?

re: Playing through the pain
user106712
Reply : Thu 10th Jan 2013 14:22

2 years ago I had an operation on my right knee, 1 week later I played a full round. 1 year ago I had an operation on my right shoulder. 2 weeks later I played a full round. ( would have been sooner but it was snowing). this year I have an inflamed tendon in my left shoulder but still manage to play quite well (mostly). I just can't lift my arm higher than my shoulder.

user410273
Reply : Sun 13th Jan 2013 22:44

Every single time I go out on the course! I got mangled in a car accident 7 years ago, I'm a failed pedestrian, and it hurts like flook every time I step out on the course. Play Saturdays and spend Sundays o.d.-ing on prescription strength painkillers and lying on the sofa. 2 rounds a week are just excruciating but I'm more hooked on golf than the sofa.

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 14th Jan 2013 10:29

I have played while in pain over many years and the round scores tell me how much pain I was in that day.

At the moment I am stuck with The Range. I can't walk very far because both knees are giving me problem, so I just hit balls. I hope to get back on the course this year as they are showing improvement.

Worst one was playing Roundhay when a car missed the bend on the road alongside the 1st and crashed into the fence. I tried to climb over the railings and slipped, digging the spikes into both palms, but not too bad. Gripping the club for the next few weeks was painful but still managed to play daily. Two rounds into the 90's showed how bad it was.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 14th Jan 2013 22:02

Not me personally, but the wife is suffering a bit at the moment. She has decided to take up the game and has booked a course of 12 lessons (for the bargain price of �150) with the pro I am currently using.

During lesson six in the teaching room last Sunday she was doing full swings with a 7 iron (quite a nice smooth swing she has too). Unfortunately she rocked back a touch during the swing and caught the ball right off the toe. The ball shot off at 45�, hit the roller shutter runner and fired straight back at her. She paid the price for a nice high finishing position as the ball hit her plumb in the side of her ribs, just below her armpit.

After 3 days of complaining about the pain I convinced her to go and get it checked. X-rays confirm a broken rib!

I know she's been bitten by the golf bug because when the doctor told to rest for at least six weeks, including no golf, she muttered "Stuff that, how will I be able to practice my swing?"

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top