Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

What driver

Posted by: user82580 | Sun 6th Jan 2013 21:26 | Last Reply

Just want to get some opinions on which driver would suit a 20 handicapper with a natural (?) slice. I am using (borrowing) a Cobra 10.5 deg reg flex at the moment, hitting it ok but not very far, would a 9.5 be any better or would that encourage more slice? Thanks in advance.

re: What driver
user106712
Reply : Sun 6th Jan 2013 21:49

lower loft means more slice and less carry. for more distance go for a 12 degree ping k15 or similar. Though you should try as many different clubs as possible.

user43763
Reply : Mon 7th Jan 2013 10:21

I had the same problem went to see the local pro and he let me try out the k15 10.5 and a g15 12 degree,

Ill be honest and was a little insulted when he suggested a 12 degree, i thought it was a womans driver but tried to keep an open mind although i was certain the 10.5 k15 was going to be the one.

tried then both at the range and hit about 100 balls, con completion i was hitting the k15 so much better, nicer flight, lots of distance with little effort but no carry, putting the headcover back on i realised i had actually been hitting the 12 degree g15 sweet as a nut.

bought it the next day and havent looked back. getting about 250 with a nice easy swing but because my driving has improoved i think i might need to step up to a stiff shaft.

user80078
Reply : Mon 7th Jan 2013 11:36

Congratulations Alan. 250 through the air is a terrific result. Think what you'll get if we ever get a dry summer.

user99350
Reply : Mon 7th Jan 2013 12:56

Too right, the lower the loft the more difficult it is to control. In my humble opinion, but talking from experience, I find that there's not much in it between a well struck driver and a three wood. It does depend on your swing.

user43763
Reply : Mon 7th Jan 2013 13:16

Thanks michael, ive had lessons too which helped. better tempo has made no end of difference.

would recommend giving the 12 a go to anyone who struggles with a slice, my pro said that if i can keep hitting great drives with 12 eventually a 10.5 will come naturally but im gonna stick with this for a year

user80078
Reply : Mon 7th Jan 2013 16:30

Alan, I have a 10.5 TM Burner driver with a regular shaft. The face looks slightly closed at address and I have a stance whereby I pull my right foot back, thus closing the stance. This combination is working so well for me at the moment as previously I had a tendency to throw the club and come over the top, resulting in a slice . I am hitting a high proportion of fairways now sending it out to about 210/230. (not bad for 65) with a slight draw or straight. I agree with you that a good tempo is crucial if you want a swing that you can repeat.

user43763
Reply : Mon 7th Jan 2013 23:30

Thats awesome Michael, i hope im half that good at your age, i cant shape the ball, well, oob right is my specialty, but its straight or nothing for me.

If you like a heavy driver try the callaway fti9 draw, some people think its awesome and can pick them up pretty cheap now.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top