Tee Times | Search | Reviews

News:

Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Accessories and things you wouldnt leave for the course without?

Posted by: user43763 | Sun 6th Jan 2013 13:37 | Last Reply

about to sign up for membership and compete in competitions and was wondering...

What tool/piece of kit/gadget/accessory could you not play without?

looking to make sure ive got every base covered

thanks

re: Accessories and things you wouldnt leave for the course without?
user282395
Reply : Sun 6th Jan 2013 17:47

A rule book was the only addition I made to my bag shortly after I started playing comps. The 'OOB' thread below gives you a good idea why! Every now and then there's a strange situation occurs which can cause arguments and discord in your group, which is never a nice way to play. I was prompted by two incidents in that occurred in my group in my first couple of comps:

1. Medal. I played my tee shot, dicing with OOB which has a ditch just inside it (ie. the ditch can often save you from going OOB). Both others in my group said they had seen it land in bounds and bounce into the ditch, so didn't play a provisional (lesson learned there!). Walked down, ball had taken a nasty hop, cleared ditch and just OOB. Ran back to tee with another ball and club, promptly banged it in the same place. Obviously being a medal I had to continue, but now I had no ball and my bag was 250 yards down the fairway. Borrowed a ball from group behind as they were coming off the previous green, no-one said anything. Span the dit in the bar and promptly got DQd for borrowing equipment from another player! Live and learn.

2. A stone path from which relief is allowed leads away to next tee, beginning about half-way up the length of the green, about 10 yards left of the left edge, and running in the direction of play. A half-yard to the left of this path is a boundary fence. One of my group's ball came to rest on said path. Another in the group (a committee member no less) advised him that the nearest point of relief was on the sliver of grass between said path and fence, from where any shot is more or less impossible as the fence impedes swing, so he elected to play it as it lay, and took a huge chunk out his nice shiney new wedge. Upon checking the rules on returning to the clubhouse, he found he was entitled to relief on the opposite (playable) side of the path, as if relief is taken it must be complete relief - any drop on the strip of grass between path and fence results in one foot being on the path, thus you do not have complete relief (which is for swing and stance). Needless to say he was not impressed with the aforementioned committee member! Socially we had always dropped on the hole-side of the path (moving backward to avoid being closer to hole), but being new to the club and a bit of a novice I didn't know any better and wasn't going to argue with a supposed expert!

Last edit : Sun 6th Jan 2013 17:48
user43763
Reply : Sun 6th Jan 2013 19:51

Good answers all, rule book is something ill have to look into, im not too hot on the rules,i learened the pencill one the hard way lol

Sun cream is a big one for me, im a ginger (and qeue the gags)

Keep them coming, anyone use a scorecard holder?

user80078
Reply : Sun 6th Jan 2013 22:27

A dry cloth for wet conditions and a wet one for dry. Lip balm for when it gets a bit edgy in competition.

user459944
Reply : Mon 7th Jan 2013 09:44

marker pen for ball identity purposes, pencil & spare(s), Rules book a golden must, game head & 14 clubs !

user338942
Reply : Tue 8th Jan 2013 18:18

I'm sure someone asking this question last year got the answer 'shoe laces'..... never had to change shoe laces in my life.

For me, I have plenty of food and water. Waterproofs and and brolly, regardless of how sunny it looks.

user43763
Reply : Tue 8th Jan 2013 22:59

lol shoe laces wouldn't even enter my radar. i find a brolly quite awkward to lug around. and is your bag bulging with all that stuff packed in.

user417002
Reply : Sat 12th Jan 2013 13:37

Ball marker and pencil

user369251
Reply : Wed 16th Jan 2013 20:54

Waterproofs, pencils, drink, snack, brolly, marker, pitch repairer and towel. Oh, and a positive mindset.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top