Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Leeds Golf Club vs Leeds Colf Centre

Posted by: user350435 | Wed 2nd Jan 2013 17:02 | Last Reply

I am looking at joining a club in north leeds and have wittled it down to these 2 so far. All the others are either really pricey and/or have a joining fee.

As I have not played either of the courses they have offered me a complimentary round to see what I think before I part with the best part of a grand of my hard earned.

has anyone played the courses? if so what are your views in terms of the golf course itself, friendliness, how busy it gets, club house facilities etc etc.

thanks in advance.

re: Leeds Golf Club vs Leeds Colf Centre
user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 2nd Jan 2013 18:11

Leeds Golf Centre (Wike Ridge) has the added bonus of a Range, Leeds GC (Cobble Hall) has very little practice facilities. Also where do you live Matt? Journey times should also be factored in.

Personally I like Cobble's greens, but the climb up 'Tribulation' (15th) turns me away.

user106712
Reply : Wed 2nd Jan 2013 18:46

I played cobble hall twice in a day last year (leeds amateur cup) and it didn't bother me a bit going up the hill. I much prefer it to wike ridge, although I haven't played there for about 3 or 4 years.

user44234
Reply : Thu 3rd Jan 2013 11:06

Wike ridge is being remodelled with massive investment by a new owner. The course in it's new form is due to open this spring. At the moment the original layout is being used in it's winter form. The course is in very reasonable condition, played it on 27 Dec though trolleys MUST have winter wheels. They do have an offer for new members giving 3 - 4 months free so that may be a factor in your choice. The proshop and clubhouse have been totally refurbished and are very modern in their design. If you've been offered a freebie then use it but ask them about the new layout.

user99350
Reply : Thu 3rd Jan 2013 13:22

I'm sure that most clubs have money troubles to some extent Matt. Remember that you have the power and could strike a good deal with most clubs. Have you tried Moorallerton? They have quite a few packages, I have a summer membership there which was �500 this year and pretty good value if you get two games a week in. My brother has a more inclusive package at �1000. One of the great things about MA is the 27 holes so you rarely have any problem getting on (apart from the societies and corporates on the odd occasion). Wike Ridge looks to have great potential andeven tho' only 18 holes, which can be v busy, it has a perfectly adequate par 3 course.

user44234
Reply : Fri 4th Jan 2013 19:46

At least you can get a decent bacon sandwich at Wike Ridge which is far better then the poor substitute of whatever sausage they do at Moor Allerton.

user106712
Reply : Fri 4th Jan 2013 20:12

they do beef sausages at MA. Because they are jews and don't eat pork.

user44234
Reply : Sat 5th Jan 2013 20:54

I'm well aware of the reason but I'm not and a bacon cob is the staple diet of the British Golfer. Good job the're not tee total or the bar may not exist.

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 6th Jan 2013 11:05

Dunham Forest offer a 'Duham Forest Full Breakfast' so they too may have Pork off their menu.

Young Liam may have better information about Whitefield GC.

user437159
Reply : Sun 6th Jan 2013 19:23

David, I've never played Whitefield but I've heard it's has a high percentage of Jews, so i presume that they don't have pork on the menu either. My club has a growing population of Jews but no change to the menu as of yet!

user99350
Reply : Mon 7th Jan 2013 13:13

Moor Allerton has a reciprocal arrangement with Whitefield so there's anothyer benefit. I'm sure bacon rolls wont be a deal breaker.

user451055
Reply : Thu 10th Jan 2013 13:00

Having played all 3, in my opinion Cobble is the best - but this is not having seen Wike Ridge since the new developments. Although Moor Allerton has 27 holes I find it is waaay too hilly and muddy for me.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top