Tee Times | Search | Reviews

News:

Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

How did you do in 2012? courses played, goals ..

Posted by: user8 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Sun 30th Dec 2012 09:34 | Last Reply

How did you do in 2012 - any goals set & achieved ? handicap drop ? courses played ??

re: How did you do in 2012? courses played, goals ..
user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 30th Dec 2012 12:02

Poor golfing year for me.

Handicap went up by three shots. Struggled with a pull/hook for most of the summer.

Played a couple of new courses this year.

So, all in all this year was a bad year for me. I'd been getting my handicap down, playing some good golf. Then suddenly I couldn't get a decent score.

Roll on next year.

user249845
Reply : Sun 30th Dec 2012 16:59

It's been a frustrating year for me. I played less golf this year than at any time since I started playing. That said, my club handicap was floundering at 17.8 at the start of the year and now stands at a more respectable 12.4.

I have worked too many weekends , missing a lot of golf, and the weather all year here in the midlands has been dire the whole time. I can't remember what it is like to hit a drive that actually runs on a bit once it has landed!

user80078
Reply : Sun 30th Dec 2012 21:17

Sadly my home course was in poor condition throughout the summer and only got brought up to scratch by new greenkeepers in the Autumn. My game has been steady but has dropped off lately mainly due to poor length judgement with the wedges and unreliable results when attempting chip and run. The putting has been OK, averaging just over 32. Found a delightful course near Coventry called Windmill Village. Short but wickedly difficult greens. It took me 2 rounds to start to work them out. No big targets other than to thoroughly enjoy every moment on the course, and why not at my age. My best wishes go to all Golfshakers for 2013.

user26342
Reply : Mon 31st Dec 2012 07:52

I started off the year by getting to my lowest at 13.4. I then moved clubs in April to a more demanding course with slick greens. I played in every qualifier & my hcap now stands at 13.8.

My golf has improved as a result of playing a tougher course & I'm looking forward to a productive 2013.

user79538
Reply : Tue 1st Jan 2013 17:55

Played my home course 151 times (not all complete rounds), including 42 rounds from the Medal tees, but not including Greensomes, Foursomes and Texas Scrambles - as Secretary of my Club I play in almost every Club Competition. Played only 15 "away" rounds, but this did include 7 new courses (all of which I reviewed by the way Darren).

Handicap started 2012 at 10.1, and climbed steadily to a high of 10.9 in June, before I started to get it together, and reduced it to a low of 9.2 in September, finishing the year on 9.5.

Eclectic over all rounds came out at 51 (21 under par) including 2 eagles and a hole in one (my second ever, at the same hole as the first one!). I birdied every other hole on the course from the yellow tees, but could not birdie 2 holes from the Medal tees, so the Medal tee eclectic came out at 55 (17 under par including the hole in one). Best round was 74 (twice from yellows) and 77 from Medal tees, and worst round 93 (Medal tees).

Played today to start the year off, and birdied the first hole - lets face it - it can only get worse from there, but got a week in Portugal from next Monday (first time abroad since Oct 2011, so looking forward to that. Playing the Pestana Hotel owned courses you golfshake regulars play in February - Pinta, Gramacho, Silves and Vila Sol.

Have a great golfing year everyone - here's hoping we achieve at least some of our goals in 2013.

Terry Gardner, Club Secretary, Mowsbury Golf Club

Last edit : Tue 1st Jan 2013 17:56
user24437
Reply : Wed 2nd Jan 2013 11:08

Mixed bag for me, only managed 40 or so rounds last year as opposed to 50+ last year but did visit 10 new ones, some good, some bad. Quality of the new courses this year hasn't been particularly high mainly because of the appalling weather, but a few of them have got potential if we get some sun this year.

My game has been a bit hit and miss despite having knocked a single shot off my handicap. Greens in reg is still my weakest area as my short/medium irons have been awful, but fairways and greens off the tee has been loads better in 2012. Now consistently shoot mid to low 80's with the odd mid 90 thrown in with the only flies in the ointment being a couple of games in Portugal approaching 3 figures.

Must try harder

user2879
Reply : Wed 2nd Jan 2013 14:28

The year started badly as I developed an impressive shank. Rejoined a Golf Club and my handicap went up to 12.8 before I started to play golf properly and now back down to 8.5 and playing to it. Aim was to get to a recognised single figure handicap as I had been unofficially off 9 in societies for last 2 years. Played a few courses during the year, highlight being PGA course at the Belfry. Target this year is to get down to 7 and stay there, work needed on chipping as I am not good enough.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top