Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

SPOTY - European Ryder Cup Team Denied

Posted by: user356537 | Tue 18th Dec 2012 08:14 | Last Reply

Like many golfers I was surprised and disappointed to see that one of the very finest team sporting performances wasn't enough to clinch the team of the year award at SPOTY on Sunday night.

I know many will say that the Olympic team deserved to win but it is very interesting to read the 'rules' of the competiton on the BBC website which states as follows:

"TEAM OF THE YEAR

For the team in an individual sport or sporting discipline that has achieved the most notable performance in the calendar year to date. The team should have significant UK interest or involvement.

For the avoidance of doubt this criteria excludes Team GB/Paralympics GB but includes the likes of British Cycling, Rowing Coxless Four and the European Ryder Cup team.

The expert panel responsible for choosing the shortlist for the main Sports Personality of the Year award will decide the 1st, 2nd and 3rd places for the Team of the Year award based on reaching a consensus view. If a consensus view cannot be reached on the top three, then the Panel will be asked to vote. In the event of a tied vote, the Chairperson's decision will be binding.

The winner will be announced during the Sports Personality of the Year show, with details on the BBC website."

If you're going to publish rules that says specifically that the criteria excludes Team GB/Paralympics GB surely the BBC should have stuck to it?

I'd be interested to hear others views.

re: SPOTY - European Ryder Cup Team Denied
user16106
Reply : Tue 18th Dec 2012 12:28

My view is and always has been that the achievment that any person or team got to be nominated FAR outways the acollade of SPOTY. Its nice to be voted for but its the medals and cups and titles that are the important thing. In answer RE teams then yes the BBC should not have bent the rules. "olympic, Paralypic team " is far too general a group. Lets just celebrate the fact that we were spoiled for choice and had such a fantastic year of British sporting Achievement.

Dave CAC handed Geordie.

Last edit : Tue 18th Dec 2012 18:32
user250721
Reply : Tue 18th Dec 2012 16:11

I agree that as a golf fan I felt a little hard done by.

Unterestingly the Olympic also came out on top in the golfshake awards this year. Lathought as an event not team of the year.

user30263
Reply : Tue 18th Dec 2012 18:08

As I also posted on Twitter, the BBC spent a lot of Taxpayers money on covering the Olympics so they were 'committed' to ensuring Team GB got the award and couldnt be seen to leave out the Para Olympians! The other thing to consider is who covers the Ryder Cup? It isnt the BBC anymore - thank goodness! I remember watching Seve and Olly still on course before 1pm and they cut off to the News!

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 18th Dec 2012 18:14

Dave, spot on!

Lets just celebrate the fact that we were spoiled for choice and had such a fantastic year of British sporting Achievement

Darren, you may have opened a can of worms when Matt reads this! He was moaning on Sunday about the golf being cut off plus had already written this:

http://www.golfshake.com/news/view/4802/Golf_TV_The_Future.html

user469358
Reply : Sat 22nd Dec 2012 00:17

Thanks Richard, I also thought it wrong that the team award was was given to a team encompassing all sports rather than one sport. What I didn't realise was that this was actually against the rules of the competition. I think more needs to be made of this and a protest should be lodged.

I myself have just complained here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/

Last edit : Sat 22nd Dec 2012 03:14
user80078
Reply : Sat 22nd Dec 2012 11:26

Couldn't agree more Jim. My complaint is on its way.

user469358
Reply : Sat 22nd Dec 2012 15:07

Have had my reply back from BBC complaints. What they seem to be saying is that whilst on the one hand these are the rules, we also have the right to change the rules if it suits us and so therefore by changing or ignoring the rules we are acting within the rules!!! Just about sums this farcical event up really!!!

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 22nd Dec 2012 18:12

Just like Eastenders always winning The Evening Standard Award for best soap.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top