Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Trackman or flightscope HELP

Posted by: user16106 | Sun 16th Dec 2012 18:11 | Last Reply

Im looking in the new year to get fitted for a driver using either Trackman or Flightscope or any other method antone can suggest. Ive had a look on Utube and get the jist on how it works. Has anyone had this process done and can they give any advise insight. Q1 can I just get analysed ( at cost )and a spec report on what would suit me without having to buy a new driver.

Q2. How much does say 1 hour session on Trackman or flightscope with the pro to evaluate your swing and suggest suitable spec of shaft, driver head etc.

Any views Welcome.

Dave CAC handed Geordie.

Last edit : Sun 16th Dec 2012 20:27
re: Trackman or flightscope HELP
user52922
Reply : Sun 16th Dec 2012 18:41

Our Pro has one installed at our club and I had a little go the other day as I cannot yet use a buggy. I felt that using one of these contraptions, which tells the pro what happened at impact etc, is not really much use in helping to assess what shaft and club head would make the right club for the player. There are too many bits of information displayed on the screen to accurately decide what is at fault during the swing. For instance a minus reading on the path indicates an out to in swing, but could also indicate a closed club face on a correct path.

Not sold I am afraid, these contraptions just don't do it for me.

Far too many players are using shafts that are way too stiff for them, why? because they like the dispersion rate a stiff shaft will produce when compared to a softer shaft which will most certainly hit the ball further.

If a Pro needs a trackman to evaluate a swing then he is not worth going to for a lesson.

user16106
Reply : Sun 16th Dec 2012 20:39

I can see where you are coming from John as pros have given lessons advice without this technology for 150 years. But as times change, whether we like it or not we use the most up to date technolgy to help us. John is there anything you learned when on Trackman that you previously were unaware of? Smash factor, launch angle, Ball speed or spin rate. Any of these cannot be assessed easily by a pro using his eyes only. I am looking for all the help I can get so if by the use of trackman the pro tells me Im trying to knock a nail in with a banana then ill take his advice. Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user52922
Reply : Sun 16th Dec 2012 22:29

Hi Dave, interesting questions from you there. I don't possess a smash factor worth mentioning. launch angle I can control myself, ball speed, spin rates change almost every shot as we are not good enough to strike the ball exactly the same every time.

The flight of the ball should tell you what happened at impact position, what you do with this information is entirely down to you, assuming you understand the theory of ball flight and how it is produced with a golf club.

All the instruction in the world will not help you unless you manage to develop the feel that the good shots produce.

user410273
Reply : Sun 16th Dec 2012 23:55

I have had a number of custom fits using either Trackman or Flightscope, and I've had numerous plays with one when my lad's shop is quiet.

First of all I'd advise only going to one that hits out on a range or practice ground, not in a net, as actually seeing what the results are against what you see on the screen is helpful and confidence building. Next, try and find one that will let you use either your own practice balls or has the equivalent - using range balls will give unrealistic spin rates and distances. Don't go to someone who is only selling one make of clubs.

Some will charge but refund it against a purchase. Some won't charge at all, and some will charge a non-refundable fee.

Finally, if the swing on the day doesn't feel right, walk away - this is very important. You will know your swing, the pro won't. Getting fitted for clubs based on your bad swing will be a disaster.

user26342
Reply : Mon 17th Dec 2012 15:12

I got fitted for a new driver a few weeks back at The Belfry.

I was able to try the new Titleist, PING Anser, Cobra & the PING G20. All of these were tried with differing shafts, lofts etc.

In total the process took 2 hours. The cost was �50 which is refunded if you buy any equipment from them. I walked away with a brand new G20 for �129

The results are superb, much better ball flight & an extra 20 yards on my drives.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top