Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Sign of the times.

Posted by: user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Thu 13th Dec 2012 15:44 | Last Reply

Leeds City Council have made some strange decisions over the years but they have just come up with another belter.

To save money they have said they may close two of four Municipal Golf Courses (Gotts Park and Middleton Park). This is the same council that years ago refused to spend �500,000 to make it's most popular Muni into an 18hole course, yet spent over �2m building a new course. Reason? Because the area's MP was a Cabinet Minister for the opposition.

At least they are not planning to sell the land for developement.

re: Sign of the times.
user410273
Reply : Fri 14th Dec 2012 19:29

I know of a private club in Leeds that might close before those 2.

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 14th Dec 2012 21:00

Pray tell Brian?

user410273
Reply : Sun 16th Dec 2012 13:29

Tried pm'ing you David but it just doesn't want to work. Don't really want to post up the name of a private member's club that's seriously struggling.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 16th Dec 2012 13:37

PMs should work but when you reply it might look a bit odd. Fix will go live tonight.

Some clubs seem to be in very difficult times at the moment and it concerns me that decisions aren't being taken that are relevant in a modern business world.

Reply : Sun 16th Dec 2012 13:43

I can understand that Brian. with running costs of around half a million pa, it is no wonder that more Clubs are not struggling.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 16th Dec 2012 15:39

Is there a solution or is it akin to 'natural selection' and the landscape of golf clubs will evolve from where they were 20 years ago ? potentially less clubs and waiting lists once again ???

Reply : Sun 16th Dec 2012 16:29

Years ago, once you were 'in' a club you wanted to stay there, at all costs. It held a certain social standing too.

Today it is not as much so. Paying about �1000 to be a member and only play a few times is not acceptable anymore.

The trouble is that many Committees have old fashioned members running them. I once sat on a 9hole Muni committee who were wanting to cap it's membership to 500. I said then that there should be no cap at a Muni because 75% of members are there as a road to a private club, just take there money for now.

user99350
Reply : Mon 17th Dec 2012 13:27

Yes it's a sad situation for Gotts Park (where I played golf from aged 10 to 19). I have a lot of great memories as in the seventies it was a popular and vibrant club. Eric Garlick the greenkeeper always kept the course in great condition despite the vandalism from the neighbouring council estate. As for redevelopment, I wouldn't hold your breath Lyth. The no. of clubs struggling will go up and up and all clubs need more Income streams which inevitably will mean more visitors at ever increasing lower green fees. Members will have to accept this or they wont have a club. I played at my old club Calverley on Sat. �13 for a round and a pint (or bacon sandwich & tea). Could it be any cheaper?

user80078
Reply : Mon 17th Dec 2012 15:55

Interesting isn't it Patrick. Whilst we welcome the stunning offers that abound in these times, it is in reality a sad reflection on how many courses are suffering in the current climate. Let's hope we find a middle road between bargains for the player and a healthy bank balance for the clubs. It's in all our interests after all.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 28th Dec 2012 12:11

More info on the Leeds closures via the GCMA

More municipal clubs set to close

Last edit : Fri 28th Dec 2012 12:11
Reply : Fri 28th Dec 2012 12:35

Very interesting comments from LCC. Two full time jobs? What about the jobs not connected direct to the Council (Pro, Steward etc)?

Also the 'costs' to maintain Parkland as against a Golf Course will not be too far apart. I pass both Gotts Park and Middleton regularlly (I live a drive\wedge from Gotts)while Gotts isn't used a great deal, the car park at Middleton is always well used. Mind you half those cars may be dog walkers.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top