Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Career Consistency or Major Success ??

Posted by: user8 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Tue 11th Dec 2012 09:39 | Last Reply

Interesting analysis from Nick, which would you choose ? Hamilton's Major or Monty's Career .........

http://www.golfshake.com/news/view/4987/Major_Success_The_Be_All_and_End_All.html

re: Career Consistency or Major Success ??
user80078
Reply : Tue 11th Dec 2012 12:37

Very interesting stats. It's fair to say that a major missing from a pro's CV is a serious lack when it comes to history, but as a professional with a family to feed, a long career, earning top money must rate high. I have played this fascinating sport for many years now as an eager amateur and my one club championship win back in 1993 is still the highlight of my 'career'. I would take Monty's record over one time champions everytime.

user26342
Reply : Tue 11th Dec 2012 12:43

Winning a major means you 've played better than everyone else over 4 days. Winning the PGA money list or the Race to Dubai means you've played better than everyone else over a year. At the moment Tiger is being ranked by his week in week out play, not by his 14 previous Major's!

I'd take consistency eveytime, if you've got that, you've more of a chance of winning a Major.

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 12th Dec 2012 08:37

From a 'players' point of view, it has to be consistency every time. It's the media and fans that make a big thing about needing a 'Major' in ones CV. It does stay longer, as does a Ryder Cup appearance. A guy in his 90's will be addressed as an Open Champion or Ryder Cup player, but not a Car Care International winner. It is usually "with ** Tours wins.

user217280
Reply : Wed 19th Dec 2012 17:44

If someone is good enough to win multiple majors then it shows the quality of the player, but there are lot of major winners out there that have achieved little else in the game other than one major, Is Larry Mize a better player than Greg Norman or Seve? I think not, yet he beat Greg in a play off at the Masters, is Todd Hamilton a better player than Ernie Else I think not yet he beat Els in the Open, So I agree with John, playing well for a few days is not the measure of true quality, anyone can have a good few days, if you can keep doing it over many years, that shows true Quality. Monty, and Westwood, to name a couple have won numerous events all around the world over many years, in my opinion a much better achievement than someone who wins a single Major and very little else.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top