Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Driver help

Posted by: user246626 | Fri 30th Nov 2012 18:58 | Last Reply

Just a question which im sure one of you will be able to help with

Is it possible to get a different shaft fitted into my Taylor Made burner 2.0 superfast or is it worth and cheaper to buy a new driver?

Have had a look at the titleist 910 d2 913 d2,d3 and taylor made R11S. Has anyone tried them and if so what you think?

re: Driver help
user69191
Reply : Fri 30th Nov 2012 21:16

R11 didn't suit whatever shaft I tried and I'm trying the 913 on Sunday. Tried the 910 d2 with 3 separate shafts and the Diamana Ahina was best suited to me and I loved it. As with everything, best to get fit as best you can.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 30th Nov 2012 22:10

I play the 910 D2 with an Aldila RIP stiff shaft and have for 18 months. Love it to bits and would highly recommend it. The shaft isn't for everyone though so get yourself fitted. Personally didn't like the R11S (I could hear a 'whoosh' in the back and downswing) but I hear it is the marmite of drivers

I also have the 910 3 wood and 19* hybrid, but they have a Graffaloy Pro-Launch Red and Diamana Kai'li shafts respectively. This for me shows the importance of fitting as the Aldila RIP wasn't right for me in those

user246626
Reply : Sat 1st Dec 2012 18:17

Thanks both of you. Have got a fitting session with Chris Steele at Minch next weekend, But they dont have any titleist drivers in and wont have until March. Unsure whether to wait til then or go and try some other ones. Does anyone else know of a custom fitting place that have a launch monitor around glos or bristol way?

user52922
Reply : Sat 1st Dec 2012 20:20

Try Nicky Lumb at Thornbury driving range, Very large Pro shop.

user246626
Reply : Sat 1st Dec 2012 21:33

thanks John,will give them a call tomorrow

user449768
Reply : Sat 1st Dec 2012 22:12

Nicky Lumb is at bristol golf centre in hambrook i think john and they have the launch monitor as im having a driver fitting in the new year.

Reply : Sat 1st Dec 2012 22:22

I have my reservations about Nicky Lumb. Have heard a couple of stories of them recommending what they have in stock when a player can tell there were other options that performed better. Not had a fitting personally at Minch, despite being a member, but I know they at least used to offer a money back guarantee.

If you can find the time, I recommend the 60 minute drive north to The Belfry. A very focused session that looks at as little or as much as you wish and they most brands and options to try

user449768
Reply : Sat 1st Dec 2012 23:06

Nicky Lumb is at bristol golf centre in hambrook i think john and they have the launch monitor as im having a driver fitting in the new year.

user16106
Reply : Sat 1st Dec 2012 23:24

Adam, Was it just the 913 that minch had no stock of or any titleist driver. Ive heard theres not a lot between the 910 & the 913. Ive tried neither. Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user52922
Reply : Sun 2nd Dec 2012 09:48

Your are correct Mike H, I knew it was in that area as I have been there once. Nicky Lumb is an old professional who was the Pro at Filton Golf Club in the late sixties.

Recommendations are always fraught with danger and one persons experience if the product fails to work is to denigrate the fitter.

Personally I feel the whole process is completely hit or miss because. in the main, the majority of swings are just not good enough. A good swinger will hit any club put in his hand.

user246626
Reply : Sun 2nd Dec 2012 17:14

Dave, All titleist drivers. Not suprised theyre out of stock but not having them back until march! suprising. I've tried both the 910 D2 913 D2 and D3 and prefer the 910 D2. I found the newer 913's heavier and harder to hit cleanly. Apart from that theres not alot between them, just new grooves and better technology

user410273
Reply : Sun 2nd Dec 2012 19:34

Adam, I've tried all those on your list + the Ping Anser and the Taylormade RBZ, and all with various shafts. I had a couple of hours out on the practice area with the aid of the pro and a launch monitor. In truth, all of them failed miserably with the wrong shaft, and all were pretty close to each other with the right shaft. It gets a little more complicated as what was a good shaft in one driver didn't always feel quite right in the next driver.

And at the end of the day I found the best one for me was a 2ndhand Ping i15 with a really good shaft that was bought seperately...

Good luck

user246626
Reply : Sun 2nd Dec 2012 20:25

Thanks Brian, still unsure what to get tbh, dont want to make the wrong decision when its going to cost me �200+.

Have found a custom fitting place with a launch monitor literally just 5 mins from me, so will go there.

Thanks for all the help from everyone, will let you know what i chose.

user16106
Reply : Sun 2nd Dec 2012 20:54

Adam, Let us know how the fitting and testing process goes. You are a bit better player than I but I am thinking long term of a driver fit. Good luck with it. Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user246626
Reply : Wed 5th Dec 2012 18:08

Went and got fitted today and ended up getting the New Titleist 913 D2 with an Aldila RIP Phenom stiff shaft 10.5 degree loft. Tried the 910 D2 first and was hitting it nicely but when i tried the 913 D2 it was in a league of its own. Felt so nice to hit and you get so much control. I got a 10.5 degree loft but its been set for me at 9 3/4 so keep a low projectory. Went out and played with it straight after and wow!! Was hitting 270 yards consistantly off the tee with a perfect draw. If anyones thinking of getting a new driver id defo recommend getting fitted and letting someone have a look at your swing on a launch monitor, you'll be suprised at how much detail they go into and how many options there are to chose from.

user477305
Reply : Wed 5th Dec 2012 19:27

Adam, was your decision mainly based on the results that were being showed to you on the screen or was it really just that one felt the best? If you felt like you preferred one driver, but the screen said you were hitting another better, what would you have chosen?

user246626
Reply : Wed 5th Dec 2012 19:59

It was the one that felt the best then using the numbers they set up the driver especially for my swing by adjusting the head and loft and putting the right shaft in it. I'd rather have a driver that i feel comfortable hitting, not one that a computer said i was hitting better

user477305
Reply : Wed 5th Dec 2012 20:23

Me too, I just wondered how often what we feel and what the computer says matches up

user246626
Reply : Wed 5th Dec 2012 21:18

Not very often, but it just shows how with all the tech now, you can totally change a driver and how it performs with your swing. Just by changing a few things you can change a club that you werent hitting very well into a club that performs perfectly with your swing

Reply : Wed 5th Dec 2012 22:53

Where did you have the fitting in the end Adam?

user246626
Reply : Thu 6th Dec 2012 19:43

Ended up going to the Glos golf factory outlet, which is literally 5 mins down the road.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top