Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Wrist pain in Golf

Posted by: user354092 | Wed 21st Nov 2012 17:02 | Last Reply

Hello all,

I thought I would start a post on wrist pain as its seems to be a common issue and not a whole lot of info out there for golfers.

I am a plus 2 golfer and damaged my wrist while hitting a shot fat on a links course in May 2011. I then suffered with ulna side (little finger) wrist pain. It was suspected to be one of several things. Either a broken hook of hamate bone, TFCC tear or a ECU tendon injury. Scan was inconclusive so i managed with ice and rest, but after several attempts to get back to playing it took 8 months to resume.

I played all this year with my wrist strapped and some pain, but threes weeks ago I re-injured my wrist pretty good. At trip to my GP was a waste of time and a NHS pyhsio appointment is 2-3 months so I researched on the internet. I came across the Wrist Widget which is designed specifically for Ulna sided wrist pain.

It arrived today, so I will keep everyone updated on how it goes as it has had rave reviews.

owen

re: Wrist pain in Golf
user52922
Reply : Wed 21st Nov 2012 17:55

Good luck with the gadget, Owen, wrist pain is no good for golf, that's for sure. I broke my wrist once and I had it in plaster and not playing. My club team at the time desperately needed me to play in an inter club match, so I cut away the plaster on the palm of the hand which allowed me to grip the club and you would not believe what a difference that plaster made to my game. I was rifling my long irons like you can't believe and this was obviously due to an impossibility for the left wrist to break down when the back of it was in a plaster case. Almost legalised cheating.

user80078
Reply : Wed 21st Nov 2012 19:19

That's real devotion to the cause John. Last year I damaged my wrist playing tennis (the net nearly shredded me ) and I spent several weeks going out with my chums and dropping a ball at each greenside, chipping on and then putting. It got me through a frustrating period. Good luck with the wrist widget Owen. Sounds like I could have used one.

user354092
Reply : Fri 30th Nov 2012 09:41

Hi all,

Just came across this article within Golfshake about Bioflow and magnetherapy. Certainly seemed to work for Thomas Aiken. Will be giving this a go as well:

http://www.golfshake.com/news/view/4373/European_Tour_Star_Aiken_Turns_to_Bioflow_and_Avoids_Surgery.html

user24437
Reply : Fri 30th Nov 2012 11:39

I'll just leave this here then.

http://www.york.ac.uk/news-and-events/news/2009/therapy-doubt/

In effect in a proper clinical trial it says that most of these wrist bands, magnetic and copper work as a placebo (I won't include the hologram ones, they've already been sued to death in the Australian courts as being bunkum). So basically they may work psychologically, but not as an effective method of pain relief.

Having suffered really badly from wrist pain a few years ago I know how frustrating it can be, but I got mine sorted medically and haven't had any problems since as long as I keep up the physiotherapy regime. Mine actually was the result of an old Scaphoid break that had scarred up and wore away the nerve sheath, but it took a long time for them to find the cause.

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 30th Nov 2012 15:53

Years ago a Pro Golfer friend of mine hurt his wrist during the first round of The Open. A lump appeared on his left wrist and it hurt. Ice was put on from the first moment and he completed the round. A Medic said that it possibley was a "Ganglia". An old 'scribe' told an old wives tale that if you hit a Ganglia with a Bible it would go away, so being a Golfer it should be hit with The Golfers Handbook I actually volunteered to admister the treatment but I was told in no uncertain terms that it wouldn't be needed. It appeared that because Ice was put on it quick helped and a few weeks later it disappeared.

Last edit : Fri 30th Nov 2012 15:56

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top