Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

driver lofts and distance

Posted by: user489926 | Mon 19th Nov 2012 22:11 | Last Reply

I have been playing 4 years and am progressing ok, hitting straighter and more consistently this season after a few lessons. I use a ben ross quad speed driver with regular flex aldila shaft 14deg loft. 80% of my drives are fir and anywhere from 200-240yrds. my question is if i changed my driver to a loft with say 10deg, would i drive much further and as accurate? as the ball does sky quiet high sumtimes.

re: driver lofts and distance
user127691
Reply : Tue 20th Nov 2012 10:57

On the PGA tour the average is 60% FIR and about 280yds total distance. Take into account that this is in america where they play in perfect conditions on perfect course everyweek, 80% FIR and 220yds average is absolutly fantastic.

By the way your talking about changing your driver I would imagine however that your assumptions of FIR and distance may be incorrect otherwise if they are I wouldn't change a thing.

Go on a launch monitor it will give you your exact stats and then compare, there may be no improvemnet to be made with a change in equipment and if there is it could be the loft the shaft the combination of the 2, any american golf will be happy to let you hit balls on there simulator if they think they are going to get a sale out of it.

user80078
Reply : Tue 20th Nov 2012 11:57

Sounds to me as though you are doing well with what you've got. Those are good driving stats, which would be the envy of many. Perhaps you might look at other areas where you can bring your handicap down. Good luck.

user410273
Reply : Tue 20th Nov 2012 14:35

If you're hitting 80% FIR I'd be tempted to stick with what you've got. Your FIR will probably drop if you swap lofts BUT if your short game is good enough there might be some middle ground, i.e. a 250yd drive might give you the chance to hit some greens that are currently out of reach.

Best try the options and see what fits best...

user16106
Reply : Tue 20th Nov 2012 19:33

Chris id agree with most coments. The stats of 80% GIR and 200-240YD is very impressive for your handicap. I am off 14 on golfshake at the mo. Mine and your drive distance is about the same. Im 200 -220 yds. But im about 50-60% FIR. I think you need to address some other part of your game. Shots from fairway, Short game, or putting. Driving is pretty good. In answer to the question. You will have increased distance with a drop in loft but you will also have a higher dispersion rate ( fairways missed ). Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user489926
Reply : Tue 20th Nov 2012 20:41

Thanks for the great feedback! Think i,ll stick with the driver i have for now as it seems iam doing quite well. It is my long iron game that lets me down the most, which i have been having lessons to correct which goes good on the range but not so good on the course. However i think a lot of it is down to relaxing as i do get quite tense on the front 9 for some reason, but settle in on the back nine much better hence usually shooting average 54 front nine but as low as 45 back nine! maybe i shud have a pint 1st instead of on the 19th hole! lol.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top