Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Winter practice

Posted by: user445877 | Thu 1st Nov 2012 20:17 | Last Reply

So, as the Winter weather worsens, not that the Summer was brilliant!, where and how do you practice? Do you brave the local driving range, with many being floodlit it does offer opportunities to practice after work even in the dark evenings...or does anyone use an indoor practice facility? There are a few about and they obviously use either tech gadget like Trackman or a simulator. Would you consider this a good option or does it not seem real enough? I would like to know your thoughts.

re: Winter practice
user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 2nd Nov 2012 01:16

I would say that anything you do that involves you swinging your golf club is better than not swinging your golf club!

An indoor range is better than doing nothing.

Russ

user451055
Reply : Fri 2nd Nov 2012 12:34

I go to New Zealand for a few months. Off on Tuesday.

Sits back and awaits the abuse

user369251
Reply : Fri 2nd Nov 2012 12:36

There's a place in Manchester called 'The Green' which has 2 indoor simulators. I played there the other night. It helped just keeping the swing loose, but the accuracy of the simulators left something to be desired. The putting is overly difficult, and it struggles to take into account spin, and trajectory. For example, the machine kept showing my ball as a low draw, with the occasional hook. I can tell you now, I can count one hand the number of times I've hit a draw, yet the maching was making every drive appear to be a 10 yard out to in draw. But still, it was decent fun, and kept the swing loose, I wouldn't take too much notice of the results though.

user2879
Reply : Fri 2nd Nov 2012 15:10

I use the local range but also play throughout the winter. Icy conditions are great for hitting bump and run shots as High shots tend to bounce through the green. If it is just wet, the greens are receptive so it's nice to fire one straight at the pin as it shouldn't bounce through. The main thing about winter practice and golf is, your handicap should creep up but, it's a good time to try new things.

I find indoor simulators to be false as they keep exaggerating my good shots. I know I don't hit it that well

user445877
Reply : Fri 2nd Nov 2012 17:24

Lucky you Judy, sound perfect....but probably cost a little more than a few sessions at the range!

Interesting comments Chris. I have not tried an indoor range yet, other than when trying out a new club at the local Direct Golf store. I guess you will know whether you have made good contact by the feel even without the info from the simulator.

Mbachi, you obviously are a hard-core golfer, out in all weather. I played today and whilst it was sunny it was also cold and the ground was very soggy in places. My second shot of the day got me covered in mud and I spent most of the time cleaning ball and clubs.

Chris, do you mean you do putting practice on the simulator? I would have thought an indoor green would be better.

user369251
Reply : Mon 5th Nov 2012 16:14

Hi Andy. yes the putting is also included on the simulator. It reads the green for you, and gives you the line. The main problem is weight, you do not know the stimp of each green, and the screen is a little saggy near the ground, where you are putting. It wasn't bad, but it's not the real thing.

user28838
Reply : Thu 8th Nov 2012 13:31

Andy - you mention the cold. I may be preaching to the converted here but for under �20 a thermal baselayer and thinsulate-lined hat led to a thoroughly enjoyable winter's golf. It was the first winter I have ever played and I am looking forward to getting out in the cold again this year.

user80078
Reply : Thu 8th Nov 2012 15:39

I tend to to follow the Mbachi system in that I try to play as often as I can throughout the winter. I'm always more focussed on the course than when on a range. It's the time to experiment and play with less regard for fairness on the bounce or run of the ball. Wrap up well (thermals) and enjoy the company of chums. I might also add that my home course remains in good shape throughout winter and we do not use mats or winter greens.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top