Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Handicap

Posted by: user13391 | Tue 2nd Oct 2007 20:55 | Last Reply

I expect this subject has been raised before.

Is there any intention for Golfshake to approach the R&A or the EGU or whoever it needs to to get some sort of approval for the handicaps calculated on golfshake.

It would be great to get some sort of approval and then offer an additional feature of a credit card type membership card that doubles up as a handicap card as per some other web based handicap tracking facilities.

re: Handicap
user52922
Reply : Tue 2nd Oct 2007 22:53

I doubt any respecting open competition would accept a Golfshake or any Society handicap as they have not been obtained under the proper conditions. All the competitions I used to enter, stipulated a proper golf club handicap certificate signed by the secretary.

I have no doubt, though, the way the sport has been dumbed down with handicaps now at 28 for men and 36 for ladies, that perhaps you may be right and they would be accepted.

Every club I have been a member of only used cards from competitions that were played off the back tees and if one did not compete in so many of the clubs competitions then their handicap was lapsed until a further three cards were submitted.

John

user13391
Reply : Wed 3rd Oct 2007 08:28

I understand what you are saying, but the reality is that there are many many golfers out there who, for one reason or another (eg expense, ability to play often enough or at any time other than the weekends) are not members of a club.

I play with friends and occassionally on society/corporate functions through work.  I have not joined a club to date for a number of reasons:

- unable to find a club local enough that offers the right value for money (ie cost v quality)

- unable to play often enough to make a membership cost effective

- preference to play several course throughout the year

I enter my scores on golfshake and it tells me I'm of a standard that would allow me to play on pretty much any course worldwide where there is a handicap requirement, yet because I don't have a golf membership and a piece of card or plastic that states my handicap, I am at risk of not being allowed access to the course.  To me its just another example of the stuffiness associated with the game.

I fully accept that its a control to keep hackers and those that do not respect the game off our courses, but I think there should be a way for those golfers (of which I believe there are many) that are not club members to obtain an 'official handicap'.

user23840
Reply : Wed 3rd Oct 2007 09:22

Another thing Darren. You could have a hacker playing 28 with a ''proper'' handicap, and you off 7.7 with a golf shake one, and you might not be allowed on a certain course, and the hacker would.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 3rd Oct 2007 09:51

Hi Darren.

Not to open up a massive debate but I agree with some of your comments in your second post.  The big problem that I see is that if I could offer the golfshake.com as an official handicap approved by the R&A or the EGU or anyone else for that matter what would be the benefit of joining a club ?  This is one of the factors in being a club golfer the ability to have an official handicap and the reason that you can only obtain an official recognised handicap by joining a club.

John's right for open competition you do need rules in place to validate a players handicap but on the basis of how the UK handicaps work it's not neccessarily a true reflection of players ability.

That said, I am looking at ways of improving the handicap provided on golfshake.com and hope to release a PDF certificate which looks more professional very soon as well as a few other associated items which I'll announce later, member card is a good idea.  I'm also exploring other areas in terms of course acceptance of any golfshake.com certificate.  So whilst golfshake.com might not provide an official CONGU handicap it would provide an 'official golfshake.com' handicap.

Regards, Darren. 

user52922
Reply : Wed 3rd Oct 2007 10:05

Darren, you are obviously a fine player and it is a shame that a player of your abilities is not a member of a good golf club, for whatever reasons.

Golf has had many fine traditions since its inception and it is a shame to see them slowly being eroded.

If you were to see the shoddily dressed golfer with no knowledge of etiquette or the rules of the game that is now invading many clubs under the guise of societies, is it no wonder that club members are complaining.

Ones ability has nothing to do with it at all, as I am quite capable of playing crap fast, as those who have played with me from this forum will testify, I do not raise my voice as if we are in a mothers meeting, I replace all divots and repair more than my own pitchmarks on every green and when playing a course other than my own, respect the members.

Now you can call this a stuffy attitude if you like, but that is what was expected of me when I first joined a golf club in 1959 and I have never forgotten it.

John

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 3rd Oct 2007 10:10

Just to clarify, John is talking about Darren Castle and not me    My golf games severly gone down hill since starting this site 7 years ago.  Hopefully I'll get the chance to play golf again very soon

user13391
Reply : Wed 3rd Oct 2007 16:37

John,

None of things you point out are what I would consider as stuffy at all.  Indeed, slow play, scruffy players, unrepaired divots and pitchmarks frustrate the hell out of me as well.  I also totally agree with you about pace of play not needing to be related to standard of play.  I and my two regular playing buddies get round in a maximum of 3 and half hours in a three ball whether we're shooting in the 70s, 80s or 90s.

I also respect each and every club's traditions and rules and long may they last as at some point in time I wish to become a member of a club which cherishes the game and its values.

My main point was concerning the need to prove your ability before playing on certain courses.  The GolfShake Handicap idea mentioned by Darren appears to be a potential route forward.  Without wishing to publicise a potential competitor (albeit an inferior one!) GolfersClub.co.uk seem to claim that they can give you a "handicap" that is recognised around the world.  This is the type of thing I'm thinking of. 

P.S. I hope I'm still enjoying my golf as much as John clearly does in 40/50 years time.

user56066
Reply : Thu 4th Oct 2007 00:20

Chaps

Darren has got a great point if the R&A would accept it but I doubt that very much.

I also agree with Darren R's comment 'what would be the point of joining a club'

I used to be a member of a club a few years ago now but due to costs,family and other interests had to give it up. I now probably average a game a fortnight throughout the year, obviously more frequent in the summer months and less so in the winter.

I now hunt for good deals,buy 2-fore-1 vouchers and have the occasional game with members of golf clubs. We have quite a good number of golfers at work of varying abilities so always get a game but I do miss the competition golf immensely.

We live in hope

user52922
Reply : Tue 9th Oct 2007 18:33

Where do you fit in between 1 and 2?

John

user56066
Reply : Tue 9th Oct 2007 18:38

John

??????

user13460
Reply : Tue 9th Oct 2007 18:49

hehe

1 too often I'm afraid

2. Never

I totally understand your views on the game - I share many of them myself, it would be nice to play lovely courses armed with a valid Handicap and not to be deemed a lesser player. I just know I'm going to go through my working life not being a member and by the time I retire and able to play every day my swing will be useless!!   

user52922
Reply : Tue 9th Oct 2007 19:36

It is a pity that a player of your standard is not playing regular club golf. Do you know that being a single figure handicap golfer puts you into that select 5% group who can actually play this game.

I too thought that when I retired that all would be well but unfortunately a combination of ill health and the body falling apart has meant that I am getting worse and not better at this game. Not long before I finally knock it on the head, as I get no satisfaction in playing crap.

John

Last edit : Tue 9th Oct 2007 19:37
user13460
Reply : Tue 9th Oct 2007 19:58

I'm just a lotto win away from playing golf every day.

Paul

user26537
Reply : Wed 10th Oct 2007 15:18

The Golferclub deal is crap.  You get a so called 30 day trial which allows you to print off a "certificate" from a website called "Strokes".  You can only enter 3 cards unless you pay £29.99 (even if you are a Golfer Club member).  The certificate is no better than I could knowck up using Word in 10 minutes flat. 

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top