Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Handicap

Posted by: user497249 | Wed 31st Oct 2012 17:21 | Last Reply

Hi Guys, i am after a bit of advice. I have been fortunate enough have won a Golf Magazine competition where the prize is a 3 day stay at The Belfry with 3 rounds of Golf... My only problem is this: Although i can play comfortably play off 22-26 i do not have an official Handicap and i require one to play at The Belfry.

re: Handicap
user282395
Reply : Wed 31st Oct 2012 18:27

Some clubs nowadays offer very cheap bronze-style memberships, which give you slightly reduced green fees but more importantly allow you to play in club competitions and obtain an official handicap. For example, two of our local clubs you pay �40ish/year plus arond �15 CONGU affiliation fee. Then to obtain an official handicap you just need to play 3 rounds with a handicapped member signing your card. A couple of mates use these sort of memberships to play extra comps at other clubs or just when they only play a couple of times a month, they can offer very good value if you don't play enough to warrant �700+ a year for full membership somewhere.

Alternatively, how much do you want for the prize...??!!

user449768
Reply : Thu 1st Nov 2012 15:54

Hi Gareth. Congratulations on your win. We played the belfry last year when none of us had a handicap card. We played the PGA and Derby courses though and i do believe they may ask for a handicap to play the Brabazon though i have played it myself without. I would phone the Belfry explain the situation and see what they say as theyre very helpful and freindly up there they will tell you what they expect. Good luck and have fun up there.

user24437
Reply : Thu 1st Nov 2012 16:20

Played there quite a few times ad have never been asked for proof (just as well as I haven't got an official handicap). I have seen the starter on the PGA 'advise' a group of players that they should try the Derby course after they'd all tee'd off (really badly) though. Best to do as Mike suggests and give them a ring, they are a good bunch as he said.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 1st Nov 2012 16:56

Gareth, the Belfry will accept the Golfshake handicap as proof of your playing ability.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 1st Nov 2012 22:22

Gareth,

As an ex-member of the Belfry, I can honestly say I NEVER saw anyone asked for a handicap cert. On a few occasions, as Tim has mentioned, I have seen players 'advised' to move to an easier course, but in all honesty they would have been lucky to play to 38 let alone 28. I'm sure you'll be fine

As a side note, I think the PGA is the best course of the three

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top