Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

woods v hybrids v irons

Posted by: user437360 | Fri 26th Oct 2012 18:08 | Last Reply

Need some help on this one , I am looking for a club which will fill a gap between my 3 wood 17deg and my 5 iron . I have a 3 hybrid 19 deg but was thinking of getting a 7 wood as i struggle hitting my 4 and 5 iron. Am i making the right choice????

re: woods v hybrids v irons
user16106
Reply : Fri 26th Oct 2012 19:10

Ryan, I was in the same boat as you a while ago. I decided against hybrids and stuck to my irons. I can now use a 5 iron with pretty good consistansy if ever im about 200 out (spring or summer ). If im further than that out I will get a shot anyway and lay up close. I just felt my scores were better that messing up from 200+ out and ending up with a 6 or 7, rather than an easy 5. Im sure lots of people will advise on hybrids and fairway woods but mine is a personal choice that works for me. Still cant hit a 4 iron very well though. Dave CAC handed Geordie.

Last edit : Fri 26th Oct 2012 19:11
user282395
Reply : Wed 31st Oct 2012 19:28

In my experience, persevere with the irons. A few years ago I was uncomfortable with anything longer than a 6, but could hit my hybrids pretty well. Problem is you get nowhere near the precision or distance control of an iron - how often do you hit the green with a hybrid? In fact, watch the pros - how often on the tours do you see them hit a green with their hybrids, let alone hit it close, compared to when they hit the 3 and 4 irons? Not often - but then they do get an extra 30 yards out of a hybrid over their equivalent iron, which I don't. I had a couple of lessons on long irons, slowed my swing down and am now comfortable with long irons. I still keep a 3 hybrid which I find useful for crap lies in wet rough and easier to play a fade with when required, but I hit my 4 iron around the same length and far far straighter.

My 2p....

user99350
Reply : Thu 1st Nov 2012 08:32

Ryan, if I'm having a knock about and taking a 'light bag I'll have a Driver ,5 wood, 5,7,9 56,60 irons and a putter. Point being the 5 wood is my replacement 1,3 &4 irons (it's surprising how well I score too). A 7 wood might be counter productive as is akin to a 5 iron for me but depends on how you hit it. I'd look into a 5 wood.

user21179
Reply : Thu 1st Nov 2012 10:00

Hi Ryan I am going to back up what others have said already. I would recommend persevering with the long irons, or at least practicing with them. I have nothing between 3 wood and 3 iron in my bag. I have had a 19* rescue in the past but find 3 and 4 iron much more accurate and more enjoyable to hit. It will only benefit your swing and game in the long run if you learn to hit long irons.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top